• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Scandinavian / Viking Peppers?

I know capsicums are a New World discovery for the Europeans and the Norse landed way too far north for capsicums, but I wounder if there were not other peppers grown or traded by Scandinavians during the Viking Age.  I know read the Vikings were heavily involved in the spice trade.  It was a commodity that could be transported easier than a great many others, so spices were perfect for the trader explorer.  From something I read not long ago, even salt was traded.  I wonder about peppers.

Are there peppers attributed to Scandinavia?

You mean non-capsicum species, like the black pepper (piper nigrum)?

Horseradish is called "pepparrot" in Swedish (similar in other scandinavian languages) which literally translates to "pepper root". It was probably introduced into Europe a bit too late to have been widely cultivated by the vikings but it is not impossible that they came in contact with it through trade in the end of the viking age.

Diafond said:
You mean non-capsicum species, like the black pepper (piper nigrum)?

Horseradish is called "pepparrot" in Swedish (similar in other scandinavian languages) which literally translates to "pepper root". It was probably introduced into Europe a bit too late to have been widely cultivated by the vikings but it is not impossible that they came in contact with it through trade in the end of the viking age.

And that would be "peberrod" in Danish so yes very similar :-)

My interest was sparked by a new Viking troop at our Ren Fair.  It will be a year before I can get anything grown for them, but I think they will be back next year.  Would love to gift them some viking peppers or something else from their heritage

There's also the BOC (Bhut Orange Copenhagen) which was created here in Denmark some years ago though not in the Viking age ;-)

The greater question may be: how would Vikings have used hot peppers if they'd had them? Chomp them before battle? Use them for some bizarre sacrifice ritual? <shiver>

Back