2 replies to this topic

#1 bongcloud

bongcloud

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 73 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 06:59 AM

I have a decent amount of vermicast and pellets left from potting up. I've seen multiple members mention making teas out of these, and there's a whole 51 page thread on it (AACT). However, sometimes they are mentioned briefly, and other times are way over my head. What would be a good way to make use of these leftovers, that doesn't require additional equipment like airstones and airpumps? Is making them into liquid ferts worth it if I won't be doing AACT (which, from what I've gathered, is the setup with pumps and whatnot)? I also have nearly a liter of unsulphured molasses and a 100ml bottle of a biofertilizer containing bacillus subtilis, bacillus megaterium and saccharomyces sp. Cheers, thanks.

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 solid7

solid7

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3,069 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 09:35 AM

You won't be doing AACT without the pump or airstone, but you can just soak any solids or pellets for 24-48 hours, add the molasses and bacteria before application.  Then, let it work in ground/container.  Use spent solids as a top dress on plants.

Not quite the same as AACT, but not a waste of time, either.  

Dave2000 - "Problem is, you happened upon the REAL DEAL."

#3 ShowMeDaSauce

ShowMeDaSauce

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 21 June 2018 - 10:34 AM

Sometimes i toss some Alaska fish and kelp pellets in water and let them dissolve overnight. My plants seem to like it.

Now, you can make a kelp solution from food grade kelp without a air stone and it does work. Rehydrate and thoroughly rinse some wakame or kombu seaweed. Add it to some water and run it through a blender. Put the solution in the fridge for a day. Strain out the solids and dilute with more water as needed. Its only takes a couple ounces to make 5gals or so.

You can top dress with the solids or just add them to your compost pile. I just put mine on the ground plot.

This is the general idea on video. I think i paid about $4 on sale ($8 normally) for the same size bag at my Asian market.

2GjbNKO.jpg

Edited by ShowMeDaSauce, 21 June 2018 - 10:47 AM.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: vermicast, pellet, tea

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests