• Please post pictures and as much information as possible.

What is this thing?

So, I started a pack of seeds for Cheiro Creme peppers (Chinense variety), of which most germinated.. There were 3 tricots that sprouted, and 5 or 6 "normal" seedlings. 
 Shortly after they sprouted, I had to travel for a family emergency and was away for about 3 weeks, during which time my husband kept an eye on the plants. Upon my return, 4 of the little guys were still going strong, everything seemed to be fine,  except for this one weirdo looking plant that didn't quite fit in with the rest. I let it grow, keeping an eye on it, but at this point Im fairly certain that it's not a pepper plant at all, and View attachment 63808 would like to see if anyone out there knows what it is. When I got back from dealing with the family situation, it was growing right smack in the middle of the plastic pot that the seedling had been growing in when I left, so I assume it's the same plant that sprouted under my care, but given my absence, I can't totally be sure. 

Anyway, here are the pics...

2pyua78.jpg

1zvrfqu.jpg

izc9p3.jpg

2j4cy2s.jpg

bikk1l.jpg

14dgkf4.jpg

mio1uw.jpg

Thanks!

Edmick said:
Looks like tomatillo

Edit: The blossom doesn't look right though so maybe not..
I actually think you're right. There are lots of different tomatillos and ground cherries. But what is distinct about all of them, is that characteristic white "pocking" when their leaves have been pierced by aphids or mites.

I may be over thinking it too but the fact that it's growing dead center in the pot, looks like it was intentionally planted as opposed to some seed that may have drifted into the pot or been laying dormant in the potting soil. Just a thought.

Edmick said:
I may be over thinking it too but the fact that it's growing dead center in the pot, looks like it was intentionally planted as opposed to some seed that may have drifted into the pot or been laying dormant in the potting soil. Just a thought.

Yeah, that's what originally convinced me to let it grow, in case it was some weird mutant from the original seed I had planted… When it was smaller it looked more "peppery", but was very hairy compared to the other seedlings of the same variety. Then as it developed more and more it started to look less and less like a pepper plant. 

I don't know about tomatillos or different nightshades, but I've noticed my ground cherry has less vertical growth and more branching out. I wouldn't usually think much of it, but the growth pattern seems different than mine in a lot of ways. It also seems to flower along the branches vs just at the ends of them.

L8LE1fK.jpg

Fruiting all along the branch:
1qyT1Oc.jpg

That's exactly the way ground cherries are supposed to grow.  You can train them vertically, but they want to creep all over the ground.  And they will, if you let them...

My tomatillos are growing straight up and even had that low fork (where both sides grew nearly parallel upwards). The flowers are clearly different though; mine have large yellow flowers, but I suppose that could be a cultivar dependent thing.

Bhuter said:
Regarding the OP's plant, do the flowers/berries grow in clusters like tomatoes? I'm guessing yes. I think nightshade seeds look similar to pepper seeds...just smaller like wild Capsicum.

The only thing is, nightshade - and especially black nightshade - have much smaller flowers.  They are very tiny and delicate, with wispy little stems.

100% Solanum. There are atleast 10 in that complex and all can be nearly impossible to identify. It comes down to measuring anthers in some species. Being that you are in Europe and how hairy it is,I am going to say Solanum nigrum. When I get a chance I will email Sandra Knapp and get her thoughts. She is a leading authority in Solanum species.

Back