• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

bottling Sauce Bottle Insert - Is This Useful In Bottling Sauce?

I just received a new batch of bottles from a new-to-me supplier and included with them are plastic inserts that go in before the metal lid is screwed on.  

I'm wondering if these are a good thing to use in my bottling process?

My process is:

1. Strain Mash after 30+ days of fermentation
2. Add vinegar
3. Boil Sauce for 10 mins.
4. Move sauce pot into double boiler setup
5. Bottle hot
6. Turn upside down for 20 mins or so.

These are what they look like.

Never seen that for food products make sure you have cap liners and they are food safe and ditch those.

The Hot Pepper said:
Never seen that for food products make sure you have cap liners and they are food safe and ditch those.

OK thanks.  They would be airtight as far as I can tell.  I ordered them with the silver caps and there is a liner in the lids.  These are listed in the category of "medicine bottles" on the site.  These are the 2 I ordered.

http://www.tshp.co.th/?product=glass-bottle-60-cc-2
http://www.tshp.co.th/?product=glass-bottle-187-cc

There's no mention of the insert but then again, dealing with this company was a comedy of errors with the language barrier and seemingly only one English speaker there.  
It is Thailand after all and I do my best, but my vocabulary is limited.  Even with my Thai wife helping out it was still not easy to do as the ordering system no longer takes place on the site, but on Facebook or thru the Line chat app.   :doh:

Walchit said:
Its like a plastic cork or something... Do they need to be in there for the caps to thread down tight?
To be honest I havent tested them with the lids and insert in place. I imagine that the insert isnt necessary to screw down tightly but is an additional seal. Prying the plastic insert out is perhaps not the greatest thing to have when trying to access hot sauce.

Those inserts are made to attach decorative caps to. For example you have a wooden or brushed nickel cap. You glue it to the plastic insert and it works like a cork. They are not for food. Your best bet is woozies that come with foam liners or any bottle for sale for food, then you know any plastics are food-safe.

The Hot Pepper said:
Those inserts are made to attach decorative caps to. For example you have a wooden or brushed nickel cap. You glue it to the plastic insert and it works like a cork. They are not for food. Your best bet is woozies that come with foam liners or any bottle for sale for food, then you know any plastics are food-safe.
This one Im not so sure of as yes, a cap could be constructed to fit in that plastic insert, but they already offer and supply with each bottle, your choice of caps from silver to black metal to colored plastic. TIT, this is Thailand and they arent going to include something for free if they dont have to.
Im pretty sure these are to be used in tandem with the caps if you so choose. I agree with you that they are probably not what needs to be there when bottling a hot chili sauce straight from the double boiler. All the lids have the foam liner in them as well so we got it covered. ;)

The Hot Pepper said:
The foam insert will ensure the seal, so I would suggest do not use the plastic. Do a test bottling.
I was going to go with your original idea of not using them but a test might be a good idea. Just hot water should work for that right?

The Hot Pepper said:
I am saying do not use the plastic, but use the foam.
Me too ;). The foam comes already in each lid, but the plastic inserts were included separately.

My original thought was to use the plastic insert which is why I posted but prying it out is to access the sauce is user unfriendly and as you point out perhaps not too healthy either by the nature of the plastic inserts composition as well as not suitable for bottling in general.

Back