• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Straight-up Habanero Louisiana style hot sauce

A quiet Saturday afternoon, so thought to bottle up a sauce that's been fermenting for a while (read: I need to make some space available in my fermenting cupboard... ;) ).

Ingredients:
  • 630 g Habanero chillies
  • 300 g water
  • 14.5 g salt
  • 400 g Chardonnay white wine vinegar

Process dates:
  • Start ferment date: 21 Dec 2016
  • Vinegar add date: 18 Dec 2017
  • Bottle date: 23 Jun 2018

Acidity levels:
  • Ferment start: 4.7
  • Vinegar addition (pre): 3.5
  • Vinegar addition (post): 3.3
  • Bottling: 3.3

Comments:
  • 22x 50 mL bottles
  • Tastes very good indeed! (a small case of the hot hiccups :cool: )

hot_sauce_batch_00003_00009.800x666.jpg

I get the bottles from a retail supplier out of Germany. For those interested they're of the type "Geradhalsflasche", with what appears to be a fairly standard cap size. So then it's a matter of 'what type of cap?'. (Beyond this, DM me and I can provide the supplier details - no affiliation.)

The consistency of the sauce is just a little thicker than say Tabasco sauce. So ideally I'd like to be able to find a dosing plug, if use for a larger bottle, but unavailable. BTW - what are these "dosing plugs" actually called?
On the other hand, the taste is nice and mellow. Of course with heat, but once on food, a little extra is just perfect. Quiche lorraine is just perfect.

The small bottle size also suits my purposes of giving away to friends, etc.

nice.chili said:
I get the bottles from a retail supplier out of Germany. For those interested they're of the type "Geradhalsflasche", with what appears to be a fairly standard cap size. So then it's a matter of 'what type of cap?'. (Beyond this, DM me and I can provide the supplier details - no affiliation.)

The consistency of the sauce is just a little thicker than say Tabasco sauce. So ideally I'd like to be able to find a dosing plug, if use for a larger bottle, but unavailable. BTW - what are these "dosing plugs" actually called?
On the other hand, the taste is nice and mellow. Of course with heat, but once on food, a little extra is just perfect. Quiche lorraine is just perfect.

The small bottle size also suits my purposes of giving away to friends, etc.

Those are called Orifice Reducers:)

Stateside we normally use 5oz "woozys" (hot sauce bottles).  There are plastic caps available in multiple colors but I've not seen the metal ones you are using.

5 oz woozy bottle, with orifice reducer - I wish I could find something similar at this end... And I have looked... Alas...
Thank you for the clarification regarding the reducer terminology! The people at this end are missing out.

(The bottles I use seem to be more used for small quantities of home schnapps, or similar, which is quite a common past time, at least in Germany. However, perfect for small quantities of hot sauce!)

You must match the size of the neck but also orifice reducers come in two hole sizes, I prefer the larger. Less of a pinhole.

Sounds like a good sauce but just an FYI: "Louisiana style" pretty much means a Cayenne (plus salt and vinegar, nothing else) sauce. Habanero is not Louisiana style.

jhc said:
Sounds like a good sauce but just an FYI: "Louisiana style" pretty much means a Cayenne (plus salt and vinegar, nothing else) sauce. Habanero is not Louisiana style.

To me it's any aged pepper sauce with vinegar, and salt. If the cayenne is not aged/fermented it does not taste the same.

Yes of course Tabasco is.

Maybe I did / did not have the name of the original post correct - always willing to learn.

Still a question: would one prepare such a fermented/aged pepper sauce with cayenne peppers in the same way? Seeds and all?
I once tried using bird's eye peppers and it didn't work out too well - I believe not enough flesh, too many seeds. On the weekend I bought a fine cayenne pepper plant just at pre-flowering stage and am - fingers crossed - expecting to have a good harvest...

Normally I grow my plants from seed, but for whatever reason didn't/don't have any cayenne seeds on hand. (And regardless I had basically missed the start of the season for anything new.)
So, a plant in good condition for under 5 €s (read: US$6) couldn't be passed up. At worst seeds for next year... 

Should I be starting a thread on 'Straight up Cayenne Louisiana Hot Sauce'?  ;)

The brand of "Louisiana Hot Sauce" apparently includes other 'cooked' peppers than the fermented cayenne peppers.
Would this be for taste post fermentation - otherwise why do it? Sweetness possibly, depending on what's added?
(Maybe a lack of available of hot sauces at this end for comparison but pretty sure my home made stuff will still be better :lol: )

Back