• Politics are not permitted. There's plenty of places to discuss that elsewhere, and a hot pepper forum is not the place. Thank you for respecting the community!

hobbies Shorerider's Workshop.

Shorerider

Staff Member
Extreme Member
I thought I would share my first handmade knife. It has been a long process with much to learn along the way, but I am reasonably happy with how it turned out. 

Mirror finish. 
OIh0F0g.jpg

QOcmReP.jpg

Top.
WLQ9b3r.jpg

Bottom.
u3MIUeO.jpg

It's an all purpose utility/kitchen knife with a 12.5cm blade.

SR.

Nice work.  Love seeing good old fashioned craftsmanship.
I've always wanted a high carbon steel kitchen knife. (a proper santoku)  I'm thinking about making my own from an old bastard file.  I am thinking to make the handles out of birdseye maple.  
I need to go back and polish up my knowledge of metallurgy a little bit.  Files seem to be really easy to get ahold of, but I'm also tempted to use a piece of D2 that I've got lying around.  The only problem is, I'm not exactly sure how I'd work the D2.  It's too thick, and I don't have a milling machine, anymore. Not sure if it's a good candidate for hot working, or not.  (it's been years since I did any non-machining type metal working, other than welding)

solid7 said:
Nice work.  Love seeing good old fashioned craftsmanship.
I've always wanted a high carbon steel kitchen knife. (a proper santoku)  I'm thinking about making my own from an old bastard file.  I am thinking to make the handles out of birdseye maple.  
I need to go back and polish up my knowledge of metallurgy a little bit.  Files seem to be really easy to get ahold of, but I'm also tempted to use a piece of D2 that I've got lying around.  The only problem is, I'm not exactly sure how I'd work the D2.  It's too thick, and I don't have a milling machine, anymore. Not sure if it's a good candidate for hot working, or not.  (it's been years since I did any non-machining type metal working, other than welding)

Thanks, I'm the type that would rather make something than buy it. Real craftsmanship is becoming quite rare nowadays, so I take every opportunity to make something by hand instead of buying it. 

My next few knives will be larger kitchen knives, a santoku is definitely on the cards.

I made my own bevel grinding jig......
kzmTXwr.jpg
bH7JBwf.jpg
1dvMEcq.jpg

......to use on a vertical belt sander that I purchased new, then modified with a larger table to accommodate the jig.

This is how you grind the bevel.
A file would be great to use for a blade, they are made of ideal quality steel but may be a bit narrow for a Santoku unless you can find something reasonably wide. There would be no need to heat treat or temper as long as you keep it cool while grinding. 

The D2 would also make for a great blade, as with the file, if it is already hardened there would be no need to heat treat or temper. 

All in all, my first knife cost less than $0.50 to make, the only thing I purchased was the brass rod for the handle pins. The rest was destined for the bin. The biggest factor was time and the tooling required. 

SR.

The D2 isn't hard enough for me to use as-is.  If it were, I wouldn't be able to do any kind of machining or cold work. (as you're aware, it's extremely tough and non-brittle, even with a high heat treat)  I'd be limited to grinding, and that would be a nasty affair.

Even the files, I'd certainly have/want to draw them down and re-treat them later.  At least for a santoku.

I'm really leaning toward the D2, though.  For knives, that will always sort of be the gold standard for steel, for me. I have always rather held it in awe. 

Looks like I should probably start putting together a slush fund for a good set of whetstones.  Pretty sure this is gonna happen.  Thanks for forcing my hand to do yet ANOTHER project. :D

I am eager to see the progress of your new "project", please post your journey.

When/if I get a forge, a Devil Forge will most likely the forge I get.
They seem to have some really good reviews so far, they even have a model aimed towards knifemakers.

SR.

Here is my latest knife I made for a friend's son as a birthday gift. 
CF5n3au.jpg

zLTJ7SQ.jpg

Pry5inA.jpg

Cyv9bia.jpg

It is a "skinner" style of blade made from 1095 forged Damascus steel with a hardness of 57-61 HRC. I purchased the knife blank (there is no way I am about to hand forge Damascus) and made the handle with olive wood and 5mm brass pins. It has two coats of satin varnish for a natural look.

SR.

Back