• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Companion observation

This topic has been brought up frequently. I always plants various herbs around my peppers to repel pests. I must not have been paying attention to how much slugs like basil before this year. I mean, they really like it. I also noticed that the peppers I have that are planted by volunteer cilantro and catnip are bar-none the healthiest. That's just a coincidence, but I like the results (from this small sample size)...

My holy trinity of pepper companion plants are basil, marigold, and nasturtium.  However...  a VERY close 4th, is spearmint.
I cannot grow cilantro here in the summer, and catnip only grows in the shade.  Unfortunately, where there is catnip, there tends to be... cats.
I have no urge to attract that sort of pest.  I already struggle with the neighbor's little nuisances in the front yard.
Nevertheless, that's good info...

solid7 said:

I cannot grow cilantro here in the summer, and catnip only grows in the shade.  Unfortunately, where there is catnip, there tends to be... cats.

Really?  I have a huge patch of catnip in my backyard and I frequently see cats in my front yard but I've never once seen one anywhere near the catnip patch in the back.

But if I cut off a few branches, rough up the leaves, and leave it in the front they'll roll all over it.  I just assumed they didn't really care about the plants unless they were broken up and the oil was released.

Doelman said:
Really?  I have a huge patch of catnip in my backyard and I frequently see cats in my front yard but I've never once seen one anywhere near the catnip patch in the back.

But if I cut off a few branches, rough up the leaves, and leave it in the front they'll roll all over it.  I just assumed they didn't really care about the plants unless they were broken up and the oil was released.

You may be right...  but let's just put it this way - the little bastards are already burying treasure in the front, under my neatly raked bed of pine bark fines, under my bamboo.  I have zero desire to do anything that will attract them near my raised beds in the back.  The minute I see footprints in my last bit of personal space, the outcome will be a can of tuna, a live trap, and animal control.  Which will result in unnecessary (or necessary) tension with the neighbors.

Not tempting fate. ;)

I have volunteer catnip every year. I had it grow like mad no matter how hot it is outside as long as its been watered. Bees love it. Aphids seem to hate it.
AClJpjH.jpg

bongcloud said:
Companion planting is wonderful. It's how I solved my problem with airborne winged aphids.

Companion planting IS wonderful.  I actually start it while my peppers are still in Solo cups.  I put the nasturtium, spearmint, and marigold  in the same cup, once I'm sure that they won't overtake the pepper, before I can put it out in full sun.
Basil, on the other hand, goes to seed so easily, that I don't bother doing anything but sowing the seed into the beds or containers, after plant out.

I love planting nasturtium, but again, I had my every-other-year bad results. It's weird, every other year I can't germinate either new or harvested seed. I've had great trouble and great success with Nasturtium and parsley.

I'm pretty sure catnip offends everything but cats. But I've never seen a cat in my yard come particularly over for it. One cat hunts, but I've never seen come get drunk on catnip. 

I used to have a outside cat that was my full time garden guard cat. He kept Mr Squirrel away and did a damn fine job of it too. I never saw him mess with the catnip unless i removed leaves and gave it to him. My inside cats were pretty much the same. They didnt mess with it when i let them outside and even inside they pretty much ignored it unless i bruised some leaves for them.

Plus one on the nasturtiums.  Last year I planted it next to the bush beans and the nasturtiums were BLACK with aphids, but the beans were fine.

As for cats and catnip, only about 40% of cats have the "OMG OMG gimme the 'nip" gene.

We are 3 for 3.

nip.jpg

Back