• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Best pepper varieties for small containers?

haha idk if 2-gallons counts as small

http://thehotpepper.com/topic/60979-curious-what-is-the-smallest-pot-size-you-can-grow-peppers-in/?hl=ping-pong#entry1334932

That said, my favorite peppers to grow in pots that size for your climate are Yatzy peppers: https://pepperjoe.com/products/yatzy-or-yatsufusa
238yatsu.jpg

LoL. Wouldnt classify 2 gallons as a small container either. I grow exclusively out of containers (reusable grocery bags actually - cheap and do the trick).

Basically check out my grow list and seed list. All those varieties yielded massive harvests out of containers.

If I had to choose 1 that was most prolific, go with the classic Tobasco

First year growing Tiny Thai.  I have a couple in 3 gallon containers and others in the ground.  The ones in containers are actually doing better / growing faster because the medium is nearly pure mulched yard waste n duck poop.  Everything I have read about Tiny Thai says they only reach a foot and grow great in containers, so am seeing for myself before I recommend them in our seed catalog.

Is two gallons a small container?  Depends on what you are growing.  I have kind of surrendered to a rule of thumb: If the plant is tall enough and the wind is hard enough to knock it over, the container needs to be larger.  Remember that nursery size is smaller than actual volume.  More medium fits in a five gallon bucket than a five gallon nursery pot.  No idea why.

Hay Immolated, I am a cheap bastard too.  If you check on Craigs List, you can often find free five gallon food buckets.  Pop some holes in the bottom, add some gravel then medium, and you are good to go for cheap.  I avoid the ones that had oils or paints in them.  If you are lucky, grocery stores will give them to you too.  You just ask at the deli.  Pickle buckets are frigging great.

AJ Drew said:
Hay Immolated, I am a cheap bastard too.  If you check on Craigs List, you can often find free five gallon food buckets.  Pop some holes in the bottom, add some gravel then medium, and you are good to go for cheap.  I avoid the ones that had oils or paints in them.  If you are lucky, grocery stores will give them to you too.  You just ask at the deli.  Pickle buckets are frigging great.
Thanks for more ideas AJ. Im all about cheap. No need to spend a lot of cash on plastic pots at Home Depot when we can use makeshift ones that cost pennies. Plants dont care if it is an actual pot, a grocery bag, or whatever.

I'm growing those Small Orange Thais in beds and the plants are awesome. Super short and extremely bushy... The structure is way different than anything else i'm growing and I'm planning to grow them again in pots next year.

I find that Habaneros stay low and grow to a nice size in a 2.5 gallon bucket. My Orange Habanero has about 80-100 pods on it and it's in a small 2.5 gallon double bucket. Super happy with it's growing conditions for sure. Make sure you top your plants if you're going with medium size containers. 

I've been collecting food-grade 3 and 5 gallon buckets for a few years.
Bakeries receive frosting in square 3-gallon buckets, and deli's get their pickles in 5-gallon buckets.
They're happy to give them away.

These are awesome for growing pepper plants.

Hmmm, I've never topped my pepper plants.  
When is it too late to do that?  I have small fruit on just about everything,

mitchNC said:
Hmmm, I've never topped my pepper plants.  
When is it too late to do that?  I have small fruit on just about everything,
I top my plants when they're just starting to fork if it's early in the season. Otherwise I just let them do their thing or the plant might be delayed too much and won't produce before frost. If it already has pods on it then I wouldn't top it.

mitchNC said:
Ok, next year.

I'm hoping to have a greenhouse for next season so I can start much earlier.
Getting started earlier really helps with production and plant structure since you can prune/shape the plant.

I'm excited about my Sugar Rush.  The peppers are taking on the zig-zag shape.  Shouldn't be too much longer.
The Aji's are also fruiting.

My friends and neighbors think I'm wasting my time with all these hot peppers.
But I'm hoping to create some sauces that have good flavors.

Back