• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

Brisket help please....

7:30 am here.

Just picked this up

20180629_072243.jpg

I have never cooked one.

I have a 4 burner gas grill. Current plan is indirect heat only using the right 2 burners for heat, placing brisket on left side.

I have a small cast iron smoker box for some chips and not really looking for that dark black outer crust.

Just something palatable and tender with good flavor.

Please give a little advice using the tools I have above...there are no other options at this time.

Rub?

Temp to shoot for?

Dumb idea and just wasted the $$?

Wrap in foil? If so when?

Do you let it rest? I would like it to be medium if possible.

I would like to have this tonight since its dates today on sale.

That should work if you can keep the temp at 250-275

Use salt and pepper for a rub, you can also use hot sauce for a binder. A beef broth injection will make it better.

Smoke it till you like the color then wrap it in foil with some beef broth or consomme, the temp should be about 160 and that should be at or close to the stall.

cook to an internal temp of 198-203, when it gets close pick it up and it should feel really soft. Another way to check is to probe it, if it slides in like butter then it's good.

wrap it in a towel for an hour to rest.

Don't forget to post pics cuz you know it didn't happen without them.

My rub:

Brown sugar
Sugar
Paprika
Salt
Pepper (lots)
Assorted herbs
Pepper powder

Coat the roast in mustard then cover with rub.

I've never cooked low and slow with gas but I'm sure it's similar enough to charcoal. Cook 250-275 until the internal temp gets to around 200. Wrap with foil around 160 or so. Otherwise that thing will take forevvvvvver to reach the desired internal temp.

Cherry and oak are great woods for brisket IMO, but sometimes I throw in some plum or orange woods for some lighter flavor. Make sure your meat is at room temp before cooking too.

Edit....

I just realized your brisket is kind of small so it should be ready for dinner time tonight if you put it on now. Wrap it in towels and put it in a cooler until it's time to eat.

Good luck.

Well it's 5:05pm almost 8hrs and just hit 150*

I pulled it and wrapped it 5 times and bringing inside for the oven at 275*

My flaw is most likely temps.  First 4+ hrs were closer to 225*. I adjusted for more even temps of 280* hoping for the best, but probably to late to help at this point.

Looks like dinner will be around midnight.  

Gotta learn somewhere right?

:cheers:

225°F cooker temp is perfect for brisket imo. you can go a bit higher if you want, but ime it doesn't give a better result. and i'm never in a rush. other people i'm cooking for seem to always be, but i'm not  ;)

since you wrapped (crutched) it, it should power past the stall relatively quickly (it's no longer doing evaporative cooling). ignoring how it changes the cook time, wrapping basically ensures tenderness/juiciness at the expense of bark. you are basically saying goodby to crispy bark by wrapping, and if you're not careful with how you wrap (do it gently), you can even lose a lot of it. however, imo bad bark is better than dry brisket. sometimes it's good to play it safe and just wrap it. low humidity cookers especially benefit from wrapping.

shoot for ~200°F internal meat temp.

also read this a few times

https://amazingribs.com/tested-recipes/beef-and-bison-recipes/brisket-texas-style-ultimate-technique-and-recipe

also, if you don't have a leave-in thermometer, i highly recommend getting one if you do a lot of bbq or roasts.

my top suggestion for real is to read that amazingribs link in my previous post and let it sink in.

and if you don't like crispy bark, then for sure wrapping is for you.
here's a clip from bbq with franklin where he compares wrapping methods (unwrapped vs butcher paper wrapped vs foil wrapped):

Masher said:
Made the flip 3 hrs ago and the turn.

It seems to have stalled.

Heres the next update
attachicon.gif
20180629_163820.jpg

attachicon.gif
20180629_163926.jpg

No chance of hitting normal dinner hrs.
:shocked:   :drooling:  :drooling:  oh my 

what is 'normal' dinner time anyway  ;)

Rajun Gardener said:
You'll get it with a few more cooks, in the meantime just drink a few and call it practice!!!

Crank the oven to 300, when it reaches 180 turn it down to 275. That will push it through the stall and speed it up. Just remember to let it rest and cool before slicing.
also pics, so many more pics  :D   :!:

we wanna see your meat 

wait that didnt come out right  :think:  

ahh fugg it, show us your meat  :P

:cheers:

Back