• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

recipe-help Pasta sauce recipe?

I have a bunch of tomatoes and need to do something with them soon, so I'm thinking about making a pasta sauce. Any basic recipes anyone want to share? I could go online and search but I find that many recipes to be overly complicated. Like someone took a recipe added a bunch of crap and made it their own. I'm trying to avoid all the fluff and looking for a straight forward recipe. Thanks in advance 

Tomatoes cut into wedges (or grape tomatoes halved)
Pitted kalamata olives
Garlic cloves sliced extra thin
Onions
Capers
Anchovies (optional)

Get out a stainless saute pan. Fill the bottom with olive oil just enough to coat the bottom fully before it starts to rise. Put on medium-high. Saute four anchovy fillets for one minute and remove, place on paper towel.

Add your tomatoes, onion, and olives. Saute for three minutes constantly stirring.

Add garlic slices.

Sautee everything and use a wooden spatula to mash it as it cooks. Stir, mash, repeat, until the garlic slices turn brown.

Remove the garlic slices and add the capers, anchovies, and a splash of olive oil. Now slowly stir around for 30 seconds.

Pour directly over any pasta that's in a bowl and stir to incorporate. Grate fresh cheese on top. Serve with garlic bread using the browned garlic (mince the browned garlic slices and mix into butter/sour cream mixture with garlic powder, spread on bread, sprinkle parsley, put under broiler).

Also grape tomato halves simply sauteed with olive oil and basil served with fresh mozz pieces over pasta is very refreshing... and simple.

You can't go wrong with-
fresh tomatoes
fresh basil
fresh garlic
fresh onion (not too much!)
maybe a caper or two (or 10 ;) )
salt

other additions----
fresh oregano (just a bit)
fresh marjoram?
black pepper

Oh Man!  That recipe is making me hungry!

3 cups tomatoes
1/2 cup fresh basil leaves chiffonade
2 Tbsp crushed garlic
1/2 cup fine chopped onion
2 tsp capers
1-2 tsp salt

serve with a wide noodle like linguine, fettuccine or a chunky piece pasta like penne or farfalle.

And LOTS of parm!   plus your choice of red or yellow chile pepper flakes/powder.

Yup. But one edit. I like fresh thyme better than oregano if adding herbs. I don't like oregano in Italian but thyme kicks ass where applicable.

Here goes the tomatoes I have to work with..

Attachments

• 20180704_125136.jpg
    20180704_125136.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 96
off to a great start!  lovely 'maters~

Fantastic! I'd go for a fresher sauce like the ones I mentioned over Grandma's sunday gravy 8 hour type, because I'd like to taste those garden tomatoes, and the cookdown type works better with canned Italian anyway... let the tomato shine!

Also I LOVE caponata. It is served on crusty bread but I have even slapped it on a roll for a sammie.

https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1016445-caponata

I tend to like the less sweet ones so if any recipe has sugar, I do not add. But this one looks good just trust me and leave out the sugar. :)

Freakin NY Times, seems you need to pay to see it...

Just google caponata...

Back