• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

What causes this?

...and what's the best way to treat it?

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

I'm spraying with Neem every few days but whatever it is is persistent. Peppers are growing, flowering and fruiting but I would like to stop this if I can.

Any advice?

The holes in the leaves kinda throws the idea of mites.  Maybe a combination of pests.  I'd keep up with the Neem for another week or so.  If it is mites, they have a lifecycle that makes them very hard to kill. (different treatment for each stage)  If you treat for about 2 weeks, though, it will get the adults or sterilize them, and then get their offspring once they grow up, and start eating your plant.

I'm not sure that's mites.  You should really get a microscope or jeweler's loupe on those plants, though.  That might find active ones.  Unfortunately, this damage can persist, even if they've moved on.  Kind of a bad deal.  You may or may not see them.  It may or may not be mites.  So many questions...

Honey Badger said:
I had a magnifier on it, couldn't see anything conclusive. Someone said it could be capsid damage.

I don't know your local flora and fauna, so I had to look it up.  Certainly seems plausible.

solid7 said:

I don't know your local flora and fauna, so I had to look it up.  Certainly seems plausible.

This is capsid bug on my potato plant:

capsid.jpg

They are not that bad really, they cause some damage but never kill the plant. Or so they say. 

AJ Drew said:
Easy maybe fix: Pepper Tea sprayed on the leaves regularly.  Most pests hate it.

How do you make pepper tea?

I had it before, just mixed chilli powder, crushed garlic with a bit of vodka and water in a spray bottle, tried to treat aphids with it but had no joy. It only made my eyes water and stank to high heavens.

Back