• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Nutrient lock out?

The new growth on one of my 15 plants is turning yellow/white. The other 14 plants are a nice dark green and all the plants were treated the same. I used HP promix, miracle grow slow release shake and feed 12-4-8. I also used a liquid cal/mg sup one time. I tried epsom salt as a foiler spray (mag). It darkened evey other plant, but this plant did not respond. After no response I tried a 24-8-16 liquid fert hoping it would snap it out of it. No luck. Any ideas how to snap this guy out of it?

Attachments

• 9F55D15C-92F5-474E-A16B-65B17EA96B95.jpeg
    9F55D15C-92F5-474E-A16B-65B17EA96B95.jpeg
    142.4 KB · Views: 113
Ya it's nutrient lockout.
pH too high; plant cant uptake iron.
Thus yellow/white new growth.
Lower leaves have interveinal chlorosis too.
Like the pH has been increasing over time; locked out magnesium and now iron.
You test your water? Could be it's too hard.
Could be mineral salt buildup.
Get that soil pH down.
I would water plain maybe pH lowered,
or flush with liquid fulvic chelating agent (DTW), and/or foliar feed cal-mag plus
and fulvic couldnt hurt there either.
Some companies sell flush products that are just soapy water to break up chemical salts.

Mr. West said:
Ya it's nutrient lockout.
pH too high; plant cant uptake iron.
Thus yellow/white new growth.
Lower leaves have interveinal chlorosis too.
Like the pH has been increasing over time; locked out magnesium and now iron.
You test your water? Could be it's too hard.
Could be mineral salt buildup.
Get that soil pH down.
I would water plain maybe pH lowered,
or flush with liquid fulvic chelating agent (DTW), and/or foliar feed cal-mag plus
and fulvic couldnt hurt there either.
Some companies sell flush products that are just soapy water to break up chemical salts.
Thank you. The cal mg sup I used was homemade and slightly acid. If anything, I thought the soil was too acid Im glad I asked. What does DTW stand for and what the most common fulvic chealatimg agent? Anything I can pick up at the hardware store?

In all honesty, fulvic/humic acid products are maybe a needlessly expensive addition to any nutrient line. Stuff like gh diamond nectar and bioag ful-power. They're most commonly used in hydro and soilless, because those systems lack a soil web with any organic carbon source. You can find humic acid powder in bulk.

Otherwise, soil drench with either (plain water/ mild quarter strength nutrient solution to maintain EC/ or a couple drops dish soap to penetrate and loosen any salt buildup).
Drain to waste just means to water slowly to the point of saturation and until you see some runoff from the container. It helps eliminate residual fertilizer from forming unusable salt compounds.

Remove top 1-2 inches of top layer of soil and add quality compost and mulch.  Would love to see how it responds within 2 weeks. 

When I suspect lockout I just water deep with plain old tap water(ph is luckily about 6.2 this year) and wait till dry and resoak. Like everyone said DTW. I think of it as flushing.
The plants survive a couple weeks of plain water then I lightly re-fert litghly the first time then a full dose a few weeks later.
Time depends on type of ferts.
I just think of it as flushing the bad andbreplacing with good.

Thanks everyone.How frequent should I flush? With the slow release I have in the soil I think it might take a while to flush. The only cause I can think of is my cal mg sup. For my cal mag sup I mixed lime with white vinegar and let it react. I measured the ph and it was around 5.5. I then diluted with a gallon of water. I added a little to each plant and watered heavily. Every other plant is fine. Maybe it got too much?

Well, there's guessing, and then there's measuring.  Just do a slurry test, and know for sure. 

There are so many products being mentioned in this thread, that it's dizzying.  You mentioned that your reaction to the plant's downturn, was to add fertilizer.  If a plant is having fertilizer that it's not using, slowly and consistently rained down into its roots, that's not going to end well.   First, you get that out.  Then, you figure out what's going on with the pH.  That's easy, takes a few minutes.  After that, you fix, or ask the next question.  

If it's pH, and you're able to buffer it, then you sit back and do absolutely nothing for awhile.  If it's not, then we go to round 2...

EXACTLY what kind of lime did you use?

How often do you water? A lot of times my overwatered plants look like that with new growth coming out really pale and that pot is quite large given the size of the plant so it could stay wet a long time.

Just wanted to update. The plant is getting some color back into it. I just flushed with water really well (a few times a day for two days) then let it dry out. Thanks again.

Attachments

• C8C20026-B3EB-46F9-B30F-0BCD966D41C5.jpeg
    C8C20026-B3EB-46F9-B30F-0BCD966D41C5.jpeg
    160.1 KB · Views: 74
Back