9 replies to this topic

#1 papa_PAVI

papa_PAVI

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 07:57 AM

Hello! I have been growing hot peppers for the past two years. i started with some seed stock collected from some Aji Amarillo from my uncle in Colombia.

The peppers were given to me in an unmarked bag. i loved the taste of the dried pepper powder and decided i needed to collect the seeds and grow my own here in the states. i grew them out not knowing what they really were at the time and became very interested in finding out what they were. That has led me down a rabbit hole of pepper gardening and plant breeding knowledge gathering. i have 15 plants going over the summer and i am currently preparing to grow out a few of each red rocoto, orange rocoto, yellow rocoto, costa rican yellow rocoto, aji pajarito, some more aji amarillo (different seed source). i mostly just grow the capsicum baccatum and capsicum pubescens species.

i am hoping over time i can work on selecting and breeding the aji amarillo for climate acclimation and pest resistance in my current area. Maybe some hybrids but that will be way in the future.

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 Grass Snake

Grass Snake

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 4,521 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 08:05 AM

Welcome! 

Personally, I'll eat a pig's ass if they cook it right.   -CB4-

#3 BigB

BigB

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,384 posts
  • aka:the viking
  • (x2)

Posted 07 July 2018 - 10:11 AM

i am currently preparing to grow out a few of each red rocoto, orange rocoto, yellow rocoto, costa rican yellow rocoto, 

welcome, 

good luck on your pepper adventure, from a fellow south floridian (miami). just a warning, while it is possible, rocoto are the most difficult and near impossible to grow in south florida, not to say there hasn't been any successes. I know wickedmike tried forever and I believe he eventually had success. and he does that shit as a profession 

Edited by BigB, 07 July 2018 - 10:11 AM.

#4 mpicante

mpicante

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16,382 posts

Posted 07 July 2018 - 10:46 AM

Hello and welcome

#5 moruga welder

moruga welder

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 8,926 posts
  • aka:moruga welder

Posted 07 July 2018 - 11:45 AM

:welcome: !

#6 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 48,747 posts
  • aka:Pookie, Satan Claus
  • (x3)

Posted 07 July 2018 - 01:40 PM

:welcome:

#7 sicman

sicman

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,935 posts
  • aka:siccy..aka papa sic..

Posted 07 July 2018 - 05:00 PM

Welcome

#8 Nulle

Nulle

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,234 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 06:31 AM

:welcome: from Denmark

#9 papa_PAVI

papa_PAVI

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 08 July 2018 - 09:47 AM

welcome, 

good luck on your pepper adventure, from a fellow south floridian (miami). just a warning, while it is possible, rocoto are the most difficult and near impossible to grow in south florida, not to say there hasn't been any successes. I know wickedmike tried forever and I believe he eventually had success. and he does that shit as a profession 

Thank you! I am hoping it is just a heat/humidity issue. I can battle that. I hope to be getting as much advise as I can get. I knew I was in for a challenge and am hoping  that the collective experience of the forum members can help me succeed. 

Thank you everyone for the welcome!

Edited by papa_PAVI, 08 July 2018 - 09:48 AM.

#10 Thegreenchilemonster

Thegreenchilemonster

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 7,288 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 10:16 PM

Welcome from NOVA!

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: aji amarillo, baccatum, pubescens

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests