Greetings from South Florida

Hello! I have been growing hot peppers for the past two years. i started with some seed stock collected from some Aji Amarillo from my uncle in Colombia.

The peppers were given to me in an unmarked bag. i loved the taste of the dried pepper powder and decided i needed to collect the seeds and grow my own here in the states. i grew them out not knowing what they really were at the time and became very interested in finding out what they were. That has led me down a rabbit hole of pepper gardening and plant breeding knowledge gathering. i have 15 plants going over the summer and i am currently preparing to grow out a few of each red rocoto, orange rocoto, yellow rocoto, costa rican yellow rocoto, aji pajarito, some more aji amarillo (different seed source). i mostly just grow the capsicum baccatum and capsicum pubescens species.

i am hoping over time i can work on selecting and breeding the aji amarillo for climate acclimation and pest resistance in my current area. Maybe some hybrids but that will be way in the future.

papa_PAVI said:
 i am currently preparing to grow out a few of each red rocoto, orange rocoto, yellow rocoto, costa rican yellow rocoto, 

welcome, 

good luck on your pepper adventure, from a fellow south floridian (miami). just a warning, while it is possible, rocoto are the most difficult and near impossible to grow in south florida, not to say there hasn't been any successes. I know wickedmike tried forever and I believe he eventually had success. and he does that shit as a profession 

BigB said:

welcome, 

good luck on your pepper adventure, from a fellow south floridian (miami). just a warning, while it is possible, rocoto are the most difficult and near impossible to grow in south florida, not to say there hasn't been any successes. I know wickedmike tried forever and I believe he eventually had success. and he does that shit as a profession 

Thank you! I am hoping it is just a heat/humidity issue. I can battle that. I hope to be getting as much advise as I can get. I knew I was in for a challenge and am hoping  that the collective experience of the forum members can help me succeed. 

Thank you everyone for the welcome!

Back