• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

health Ghost Pepper Leaves w/ Black Spots

My little ghost peppers are having some issues suddenly. I was out with them two days ago, and things were going all right. Then this morning I go to check on things, and one has these black spots and another has spotting(?) or something.

I'm relatively new to growing peppers, and especially to having problems (pests, disease, fungus, etc.) with growing them, so I really have no idea what it is happening to them right now. Good ol' Google tells me it could be any number of things with all kinds of different treatments and remedies.

It seems like we've had rain on and off again often lately, and I've barely had to water them because of it. So, I'd not be surprised to learn there was a correlation between the constant wet conditions of the plants and their problems.

Any and all help would be most appreciated! Thanks!

The pictures are marked ghost #1 and ghost #2

Imgur link for higher definition --->  https://imgur.com/a/fcuFVzZ

20180708_195210.jpg
20180708_195312.jpg
20180708_195403.jpg
20180708_195430.jpg
20180708_200523.jpg

That's pretty typical of a nitrogen deficiency. Rain will do that to ya.
If you've got a granular or organic dry fert in there, you'll probably be ok.  Otherwise, you'll need to get some nitrogen in there.  Alaska fish pellets would be an easy to apply and will use the water that's already there. (without adding)

solid7 said:
That's pretty typical of a nitrogen deficiency. Rain will do that to ya.
If you've got a granular or organic dry fert in there, you'll probably be ok.  Otherwise, you'll need to get some nitrogen in there.  Alaska fish pellets would be an easy to apply and will use the water that's already there. (without adding)
All right, thanks for the reply. I was worried it was something else, potentially worse. I'll add some of the Alaska fish pellets, per your suggestion. Thank you, again, for your help!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Post back, if it cures the problem.  We often think of yellowing as nitrogen related.  But dark dots are what I see most often after torrential downpours. 

Welp, it hasn't worked out yet. I gave fertilizer to all my ghost peppers, and now even more look like pepper #1.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy Note 8 using Tapatalk

Ok. let's start again.  Every bit of relevant info.  Media, water schedule, location, etc, etc, etc.  No unimportant details.

solid7 said:
Ok. let's start again.  Every bit of relevant info.  Media, water schedule, location, etc, etc, etc.  No unimportant details.
Let's see..

They're all in red solo cups, one with a slit down the side and the bottom cut off that's inside another with holes punctured where they meet on the inside. If that's makes sense. It allows for drainage if needed, and will make it easy to drop 'em into their new pots/medium soon. I tried to keep this growing stage kinda cheap.

I'm using Miracle-Gro Potting Soil and Jobe's Vegetable & Tomato fertilizer because it's what I had on hand when I moved them up to the cups. That fert is NPK 2-7-4. I originally mixed the soil and fert together in a big batch, following the directions on the Jobe's. Last time I added more of that fert was June 14th, but then added the Alaska fish fertilizer 5-1-1, following their directions, on July 9th for the nitrogen boost.

I usually water them when they feel like they need it. In general, I check them everyday, and maybe add water every second or third day, depending on the weather.

They're stuck on a north-facing balcony, but they're all raised up on my patio table, so they get good morning/evening light, and mostly indirect light during midday. There's nothing I can do about where they are; yay apartment living...

I can't think of anything else relevant right now.

Thanks for your help before and again!

solid7 said:
More pics possible?

Any pesticides?  Any problems along the way?
http://imgur.com/a/Plsf7kc

The top picture here is #2 from the original pictures. It has more specific black spots than the other plants, and might be something different. That plant is over on my neighbor's to keep it away from everything else, just in case.

Otherwise, my Fatalii peppers had aphids that were trying to jump to these ghosts when they were little seedlings, and I dusted 'em with neem oil then (2-1/2 months ago, maybe) and that was the end of it.

That looks different, from that perspective.

It actually looks like chemical damage.

Did you apply the Neem during daylight?

Nope, I haven't put neem on anything in a while, and I've been noticing new plants that seem affected. It was 3 plants to begin with, now it's 6.
solid7 said:
That looks different, from that perspective.

It actually looks like chemical damage.

Did you apply the Neem during daylight?

Indirect lighting and damp roots may promote anaerobic growth. That picture and the brown cast on the roots makes me suspect the onset of root rot.
Id recommend a quick shot of beneficial innoculant for the roots (Hydroguard or similar) and alot less watering.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

troutbeer said:
Indirect lighting and damp roots may promote anaerobic growth. That picture and the brown cast on the roots makes me suspect the onset of root rot.
Id recommend a quick shot of beneficial innoculant for the roots (Hydroguard or similar) and alot less watering.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

I was actually starting to suspect compaction of the media. (which I officially do now)
That can certainly be caused by overwatering. (overwatering causes compaction)  Or just using substandard media.  At any rate, compaction of media can give the appearance of N deficiency, even when plenty is present
Your roots don't look good.  This might be a great time to up pot those plants, into a better potting mix. (my top recommendation, in fact)

All right, I'll see what I can do to take care of that.

Would it be helpful to move them to bigger containers? I was going move everything to grow bags (black, cloth ones), but out that on hold to figure out what else is going on.

solid7 said:

I was actually starting to suspect compaction of the media. (which I officially do now)
That can certainly be caused by overwatering. (overwatering causes compaction)  Or just using substandard media.  At any rate, compaction of media can give the appearance of N deficiency, even when plenty is present
Your roots don't look good.  This might be a great time to up pot those plants, into a better potting mix. (my top recommendation, in fact)
Haha oops, I must have missed your post while writing my last post. I'll get them in new medium, new containers, etc.

Thank you everyone! I'll let you know how they're doing later on.

peppamang said:

looks like bacterial spot disease on this one 

I'm a little hesitant to jump to that conclusion.  Another member here recently showed me something that looked the same, and she indicated that it was paint spray from her neighbors.
But if it is BS, it will also spread to the stems...  So keep an eye on that.  You'll want to cull the plant if it gets to that point.

Back