5 replies to this topic

#1 AndyW

AndyW

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 519 posts

Posted 09 July 2018 - 11:58 PM

This may or may not be the right section, but I was just wondering how most of you clean out your grinders. I got mine used at a second-hand store, so it doesn't have any bells and whistles. Just a lid that comes off. Definitely doesn't seem like something to submerge. I'm guessing a lot of you have grinders with removable bowls/etc.?

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 Edmick

Edmick

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 2,903 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:56 AM

I run bread through mine to get the bulk out but I also wash it with hot water and soap

#3 Slug

Slug

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 08:10 AM

This may or may not be the right section, but I was just wondering how most of you clean out your grinders. I got mine used at a second-hand store, so it doesn't have any bells and whistles. Just a lid that comes off. Definitely doesn't seem like something to submerge. I'm guessing a lot of you have grinders with removable bowls/etc.?

Probably so.  I've got a light commercial model WSG30 from Waring that I've used for years.  Comes with 3 removable/dishwashable stainless steel bowls with individual lids, but they have never seen the dishwasher.  Too quick and easy to just pop them off, dunk them in the sink and scrub them when I'm done.  If yours is an all-in-one unit, I'd do like Edmick says.  Tear a chunk of fresh bread off and smear it around through your bowl to pick up the majority of loose stuff, then gently scrub it with a soapy rag or brush.  Carefully rinse and make sure to dry it with a paper towel or cloth when done.  The blades on a cheap grinder will rust easily.

#4 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 44,936 posts
  • aka:Pookie
  • (x3)

Posted 10 July 2018 - 12:51 PM

Uncooked rice and lemon zest. Pulverize. Dump out. Wipe clean.

#5 SmokenFire

SmokenFire

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 3,970 posts
  • aka:the ralphster
  • (x9)

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:02 PM

Uncooked rice and lemon zest. Pulverize. Dump out. Wipe clean.

This is what I use - about a half cup of rice and a teaspoon of lemon zest.  It works well. 

It felt like satan pissed in my mouth it was so hot and lasted a long time. It was a horrible experience eating one of them. - SavinaRed
I would love to travel to your castle to roam the land,eat pie and hunt woman. - sicman

#6 alkhall

alkhall

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,470 posts

Posted 10 July 2018 - 03:47 PM

My grinder is a 30-year old Osterizer 14-speed blender.

I simply rinse with running hot water for about five minutes.

I'm your truth, telling lies, I'm your reasoned alibis-Ulrich/Hetfield

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests