• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Getting this one started today or tomorrow

Sofar ive got

5-6 "Nagas"
2 Red MOA bonnets...and them suckers seem freakishly hot compared to the yellows last year
1 good sized P. Dreadie
An ounce or 2 of red bells and carrot
An Aleppo that had minor end rot i picked
A golf ball sized red shallot
1/4-1/2tsp ginger garlic paste
About another 1/2tsp of minced garlic....probably less
Good rice vinegar. 50/50 with water
A couple allspice berries and 1 fancy whole clove.
Salt, sugar and lime juice for final adjustments.

I removed the seeds from all but the MOA reds because i needed the seeds. I will make sure to take exact measurements when i get the pics. This is just a small test batch. It should yield around 20-24oz of finished sauce.

100 grams of hot peppers "naga" mostly. 2 MOA reds, 1 P. Dreadie, 1 ghost and a Starfish
30 grams of sweet red bell
25 grams of carrot
1 small red shallot, around 2.5 tbs minced
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp Swad ginger garlic paste
3 whole all spice and 1 whole clove..both ground in a mortar
50/50 brown rice vinegar(4.3%)/water so its not terrible acidic and the vinegar has a little sweetness too.

Gave it all a spin with a immersion blender in a quart jar. I just wanted it broke down a little before a cook down. Amount came right upto the 1/2qt mark.

First taste after sitting in the fridge

Much sweeter than i thought it would be and i didnt add any sugar. Should have used my Marukan Japanese rice vinegar maybe,
Needs more salt but i knew it would. I like to shoot for around 30-45mg of sodium per tbs in the finished product. Thats very close to what is in Pex's hot sauces.
Needs more garlic

Not nearly as hot as i thought it would be but the burn hits really fast.

Adjusting with lime juice, salt and maybe some granulated garlic today.

Options: I think i would like it better with a few smoked peppers or possibly a couple drops of liquid smoke.
SDwBVSr.jpg

Good call on the salt. Always a mistake to season before and not after, presuming cooked versus fermented.

A good resource that I came across making me realise little things is Jacob Burton's Culinary Bootcamp: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9L-tJxPTGY
Saliva has a salinity of approx. 0.4 % and so anything less means food just doesn't taste that good (or is too bitter/sour/sweet - even though not necessarily such). 45 mg per tbsp would mean about 0.3 % salinity. So in the ballpark.

I can assure you, PexPeppers Taco Fuego taste great and its only 5mg per tsp (15mg per tbs). Its easy to add salt anytime but pretty difficult to remove it. I tried a hotter version of a smoked Marie Sharps called Smokin Marie's. The "mild but not too mild" one was ok but i wanted to try a hotter one. The hotter one has over 400mg per tsp. The mild one is around 110mg per tsp.

I almost gag on the Smokin Marie its so salty. There is no reason in the world why a cooked vinegar based hot sauce needs anywhere near 400mg per tsp of sodium.

You can pretty much smoke anything for the smoked flavor. Onions and garlic work a treat. Don;t add smoked salt unless it actually needs salt. ;)

Back