• General food and cooking questions, discussion, and recipes. To blog your food or to create (or post in) a community food thread, please post in Post Your Eats!

In and Out burger/cast iron skillet

Im gonna try duplicate an In and Out Burger. I just got a cast iron skillet. Should put oil/butter in the pan b4 i fry the burger?

rlslmshdy said:
Im gonna try duplicate an In and Out Burger. I just got a cast iron skillet. Should put oil/butter in the pan b4 i fry the burger?

In & Out cooks on flat top grills IIRC.  If you check the burger thread you'll find several posts by Texas Blues doing a similar thing on his electric (I think) flat top.  Thin patties, cooked quickly over high heat.  Just as Pookie said if your CI is seasoned it won't need any oil.

Serious eats has a page up for a copycat In & Out recipe that looks pretty good.  :)

If your pan is brand new you need to season it. If second hand, it should be. Read up on it.

LOL.  Had an In-N-Out burger for the first time last year. *Does.not.get.the.hype.*  When you can already make a burger 1000 times better than that by default, why copy that one? :D
Mysteries... :D
On a helpful note, though... You can do it with a cast iron.  Flat iron works good, also, but there are different things that can classify as such.  For example, I have a flat iron that I made on a CNC plasma cutter.  I cut what looks like a 3/8" thick mild steel manhole cover, with handles on it.  I use it on my gas grill, and cook everything from burgers to indian flat breads. (roti, paratha, naan, etc) 
Aside from the joking - I really don't get the appeal of the In-N-Out - but that cast iron will serve you well for possibly one of the best burgers that one can make.  That is, the smashburger.   Seasoned meat, with some onion, garlic, and hot peppers rolled in.  Just put a ball of that seasoned meat in a hot, buttered cast iron, and squish it with a spatula.  Boom.

When I've seen smash burgers on TV shows, they smash it as soon as it hits the flat top, not smooshing any juices out. After it is cooking or after the flip? NOoooooo....

He's asking about In n Out. Is that what they do? No idea here. 

The Hot Pepper said:
He's asking about In n Out. Is that what they do? No idea here. 

No, it's not.  It's just run-of-the-mill fast food style burgers.  But you and I have talked burgers.  If you haven't had one, I am quite certain that you'll have a WTF (is so great about this) moment the first time you do. :D
It's literally THE most over-hyped mediocre burger on the planet.  I think you gotta be from California to really love them.  I'm not a fan of Five Guys, but they beat an In-N-Out on any given day ending in Y...
Now what's this about smash removing juice?  One mustn't smash, once the juices are sealed in.  If you like a medium rare burger, and a thin patty, smash is an excellent and easy way to get there. 

Back