• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Don't you hate it when..?

Doesn't it suck when you're in the middle of a partially-failing season, and you start fantasizing about next season, so you order seeds for 2019 and you feel good for a minute.... Until you realise that you neglected to order a few that you'd been perving on for like a year, so you have to re-order?

Yeah, it sucks... Mostly because it makes me realise that poor planning is often the reason for the many challenges I confront while growing.

It's weird that I think growing chiles is so much fun, when it caused me so much grief...

Bicycle808 said:
It's weird that I think growing chiles is so much fun, when it caused me so much grief...

It's weird that I think __________ is so much fun, when it caused me so much grief...

Do you see what I did there?  If not, I'll give you a few minutes to realize that this is the essence of being a male of the species...

solid7 said:

It's weird that I think __________ is so much fun, when it caused me so much grief...

Do you see what I did there?  If not, I'll give you a few minutes to realize that this is the essence of being a male of the species...
Yeah I guess I get that... But I'm much better at most of my other hobbies/passions/passtimez. I guess because growing peppers is long term and it deals with living things... So you gotta wait so long if/when you gotta start over.

If I'm lacing a bike wheel and I eff up the build, I can usually fix it with some patience but, worst case, I can back everything out and start over, still be done same night. No doubt, building a wheel can be truly frustrating, but it's fleeting. You'll be mounting tires and happily riding on those new wheels in no time.

These chile plants, though... It's agonizing, struggling with them for months on end, hoping for the best but knowing that, if things go awry... I gotta wait a year for a re-do.

I like that growing these things is helping me build patience, but... Maybe I don't need white this much patience LoL...

Bicycle808 said:
Maybe I don't need white this much patience LoL...

Maybe you just don't love growing chiles as much as you've convinced yourself that you do...  :D

Seriously, man...  When I'm not growing stuff, all I can think about is... growing stuff.  I can't even enjoy vacations sometimes, because I'm obsessed with how well things "might" grow there. When I went to Hawaii, I was ready to sell everything that I own, and live on a piece of land with no permanent structure, just because I had a feeling that I could grow rocotos there.  :oops:

solid7 said:

Maybe you just don't love growing chiles as much as you've convinced yourself that you do...  :D

Seriously, man...  When I'm not growing stuff, all I can think about is... growing stuff.  I can't even enjoy vacations sometimes, because I'm obsessed with how well things "might" grow there. When I went to Hawaii, I was ready to sell everything that I own, and live on a piece of land with no permanent structure, just because I had a feeling that I could grow rocotos there.  :oops:
OMG. I take mine on vacation with me!

Do you know the causes for failure?

I have several dud peppers this year and it sucks. But my tomatoes are raging, whereas last year they sucked. No matter what measures I take - companion planting, rotation, ferts, compost - I get the feeling there is a rotational garden karma thing going on. Sorry, you're not having everything go good. Then I look at some people's gardens and *everything* is going good. Who knows...

But I was literally just thinking about next year's peppers and seeds 2 days ago ;)

I haven’t had a decent yield since 2015 in So Cal. Now in Northern Arizona I’m struggling to learn how to grow peppers all over again. Last year 2017 I said I’m done. Then I said ok just a couple of chosen over wintered plants. Then 2018 I said maybe I will get a head start and germinate just a few for the following 2019 year, yeah that’s it I’ll stop there. Goes without saying I already have over one hundred plants and still no pods (and I’m on water haul). Of course I’m already telling myself no more, I can’t put this much work into something for little or no yield. But truth be told I love the challenge and will be a Pepper Head to the dying end. It’s a disease.

SL3 said:
I haven’t had a decent yield since 2015 in So Cal. Now in Northern Arizona I’m struggling to learn how to grow peppers all over again. Last year 2017 I said I’m done. Then I said ok just a couple of chosen over wintered plants. Then 2018 I said maybe I will get a head start and germinate just a few for the following 2019 year, yeah that’s it I’ll stop there. Goes without saying I already have over one hundred plants and still no pods (and I’m on water haul). Of course I’m already telling myself no more, I can’t put this much work into something for little or no yield. But truth be told I love the challenge and will be a Pepper Head to the dying end. It’s a disease.

If I had a place in Arizona, I do believe that I'd have a greenhouse with a swamp cooler...  Maybe even a rogue well. :D

Back