• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Cloning a Hot Sauce Recipe

Edmick

Staff Member
Extreme Member
So I realize that there are a million ways that this recipe could go down but I'm looking for suggestions on a good starting point for trying to recreate it. Doesn't need to be exact cuz I probably plan on substituting the habs for something else anyways but for the sake of keeping it as simple as possible, lets assume im using habs. Unfortunately I'll probably end up using canned peaches cuz all the fresh ones around here suck and have no flavor but everything else I'll try to source fresh. Any suggestions are appreciated. Especially if you've had this sauce and know the flavor profile. It's "Tears Of The Sun" by High River Sauces. Thanks!

Edit: If it's easier for you to list in volume measurements, then lets say for a 1 gallon batch. Percentages are welcome though.

Attachments

• 20180703_081612-1.jpg
    20180703_081612-1.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 182
well basically start weighing out each component with the content based on the lineup. You then need to let it sit for a few days to mary the flavors then try and then add increments and see how close you get.
I have all ingredients on that label except Papaya. Been wanting to use my frozen pineapple for something, the Mango goes great to reduce the bite of the pineapple.

It could be possible that the different fruits are all equal parts right? I don't really pick up the pineapple as being dominant in the recipe but it is obviously detectable. With equal parts, they could be listed in any order? I just don't think that there's more of it than anything else based on the flavor but it could be like you said and the mango is just helping tame it a little.

Total left field guess Ed but here's how I'd approach it:

4 cups ACV
16 oz pineapple
8 oz peaches (not in syrup)
6 oz papaya
6 oz mango
1 lb Habs (more or less)
2 cups water
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup lime juice
2 tbsp ginger
2 tsp salt
4-10 cloves garlic
maybe 2 tbsp chili flake

I'd cook the fruits in the vinegar & water with the pods/garlic/ginger in a covered stock pot until everything was soft.  Then I'd add the brown sugar & salt and blend it all up really well before putting it through a food mill on a medium screen to remove all that pulp.  Then I'd bring it back up to temp, add the chile flake & lime juice and taste it to see what else it needed.  Maybe a bit more sweet or salt or even a touch more ACV or lime.

Just a guess. :)  

SmokenFire said:
Total left field guess Ed but here's how I'd approach it:

4 cups ACV
16 oz pineapple
8 oz peaches (not in syrup)
6 oz papaya
6 oz mango
1 lb Habs (more or less)
2 cups water
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup lime juice
2 tbsp ginger
2 tsp salt
4-10 cloves garlic
maybe 2 tbsp chili flake

I'd cook the fruits in the vinegar & water with the pods/garlic/ginger in a covered stock pot until everything was soft.  Then I'd add the brown sugar & salt and blend it all up really well before putting it through a food mill on a medium screen to remove all that pulp.  Then I'd bring it back up to temp, add the chile flake & lime juice and taste it to see what else it needed.  Maybe a bit more sweet or salt or even a touch more ACV or lime.

Just a guess. :)  
Looks like a legit guess to me. Just had no idea where to begin. I've made a few sauces in the past but never got too carried away with the details and technical side of it. Always been more of a consumer than a "maker". I'll give it a shot maybe this weekend and let you know how it goes. I'll give you 10 percent of profits if it ends up being a hit. lol

Here's something that may help. I would assume pineapple is juice not flesh. You can list juice as "pineapple" and seeing it so high up I think it may be liquidity/sweetener, and the other fruits, flesh. Plus in recipes there is often no difference in taste, unless you taste bits of pineapple? Haven't had this sauce in ages.

Good luck, Ed! I'd never seen that sauce before until you used the bottle for a telescope during the eclipse last year :rofl:

A couple months ago, they had 2 bottles of Tears of the Sun on a clearance table at the grocery store for $1.99 each! Grabbed 'em both and I'm glad I did. Flavor is outstanding, just wish it had more heat. I can't believe how cheap it was; I would've paid much more

MikeUSMC said:
Good luck, Ed! I'd never seen that sauce before until you used the bottle for a telescope during the eclipse last year :rofl:

A couple months ago, they had 2 bottles of Tears of the Sun on a clearance table at the grocery store for $1.99 each! Grabbed 'em both and I'm glad I did. Flavor is outstanding, just wish it had more heat. I can't believe how cheap it was; I would've paid much more
I'm thinking of substituting the habs with p dreadie scotch bonnets that I have growing. It was really hard to gauge the heat when I first tried it at an expo cuz my palate was totally trashed for obvious reasons but I really like it. One bottle will only last me a couple days so if I can try to make something similar it could save me some coin.

I love your awards. I think it shows the up and coming sauce makers and what to expect. I have found so many amazing sauces from your awards show. I know I have gained sales from telling people that Tears of The Sun won the Hot Pepper Award for the Best Hot Sauce of 2011.

I will always support what you guys do.

Thanks again

Steve

The Hot Pepper said:
I need to revisit that sauce.
I think that it's balanced perfectly for the style that it is. Was always apprehensive of fruity sauce but I was clearly missing out. I just bought a few more bottles recently and sent one to Walchit in Kansas and he liked it but I don't believe he was a fan of the ginger in it. I guess it's one of those love it or hate it ingredients.

Back