• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Hot Pickles

I save up pickle juice in a gallon jar, for one-time re-use. And then, I add whatever peppers I like to it.  I also had heaps of garlic and turmeric.  

For me, it will be cherry peppers this year.  And rocotos, if I can manage to produce them...

KHnRMso.jpg

These have been my go-to store pickles lately, they are not hot but as discussed above, that can be quickly remedied.
they are in the refrigerator section. Probiotic pickles, no vinegar, and when you add a fresh pepper to them the culture becomes active again  :cool:

This is a pepper my three year old bit into then said his mouth was on fire. Figured I would toss it in some pickles

20180711_112219.jpg

Last year I took my friend 2 carribean red habs, 2 Thais, and 2 dragon cayenne. They were too spicy for anyone else to eat. I loved them. I think he added a little sugar.

I've got a jar in the fridge I threw a few hogsweed and some sugar into. I am hoping for the best pickles ever on that jar lol

My pickle recipe....also posted on my profile.

Cold Pack Pickles *Can be stored up to 2 yrs.
I have been using this Recipe since 1988 exclusively.

Excellent recipe for same day harvest/preserving

Recipe is for 1 wide mouth Quart Jar

Ingredients:
1.5 TBLS Canning Pickling Salt
1/2 Cup Cider Vinegar
1 TBLS Pickling Spice
2-4 Whole Garlic cloves - peeled
4-5 Whole Dried Hot Peppers (Thai or similar) OR REAPERS etc
1/4 tsp pickle crisp (easily found in canning section)
Fresh dill sprig. Doesn't require much (optional)
COLD Filtered water to top off before sealing.

Fresh picked Pickling Cucumbers, washed, rinsed and bottom flower tip trimmed off.

Directions:

1.Gently wash fresh picked pickling cucumbers, set aside.

2.Wash & Sterilize Wide mouth quart Mason/Canning jar.

3. Combine, Salt, Garlic, Pickling spice, dried peppers, pickle crisp into bottom of jar.

4.Pack jars firmly with washed cukes...do not smash cukes, vary sizes as needed to fill jar. DO NOT USE SOFT CUKES.

5. Add sprig of dill, and vinegar.

6. Fill remaining space in jar to within 1/8" of top with filtered water.

Seal with heated lid and place tightening band on hand tight and snug. do not over tighten.

Shake jar vigorously and store upside down for 24hrs.
Check jars daily and invert daily for 10 days. Bottom one day, top the next.

After 10 days store in cool dark place...pickles will be ready in 6-8 weeks.

These make a very crisp, slightly spicy pickle.

I go heavier on the dill and boil the brine with spices first. Allow to cool to barely warm before adding to the cukes. Ive got 1 jar left in the fridge from last year and they are still fine.

Something i tried last year that worked fairly well too is pack a quart Mason full of baby dill. Fill it up with your vinegar and toss it in the fridge. It dont take much of it to give a nice dill boost. Great for cukes&onions if you like yours with dill.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
I think im going to try some Bonnet Gherkin spears this week. 1 bonnet to about a quart jar of burr gherkin spears.

TGCM
Roughly what vinegar to water ratio are you using for your cold pack cukes? I normally go pretty heavy. As much as 50/50.
I go with a 2/1 ratio, water to vinegar.

Just did a few quarts this morning... I'm guilty of using Ball Dill pickle mix but I usually throw in some black peppercorns and go a little bit heavier on the vinegar.  Some slices for sandwiches and burgers, some regular spears, and one jar with extra garlic and dragon cayennes for me. Next batch will be some pints each with a fresh superhot thrown in. Just got some beautiful Reaper, BBM, and JPGS from Juanitos Peppers. I would have made them today but the fridge is overstuffed already.

Attachments

• IMG_0705.jpeg
    IMG_0705.jpeg
    89.2 KB · Views: 71
Back