• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Ideas for a ghost pepper sauce

My brother is hounding me for a ghost pepper sauce. Im thinking mostly ghost, a red bonnet and a few of my "mystery" peppers. Probably something like 6 ghost/4Naga?/1bonnet. I just know this is gunna be hotter than he can handle so i dont want to make a large amount. Plus making really hot sauce is very unpleasant for me anyway.

Im thinking...

1 small roma
1 gold ball sized red shallot
Maybe a little ginger
Garlic, possibly even heavy

Really not sure on the vinegar but maybe something with a little sweetness like a white balsamic to help take the edge off. :D

I can always give it to the mechanic at the shop if it turns out brutal.

Personally I would not use tomato. Tomato can totally change an Indian dish, jalfrezi for example, vs curry. I think red bell would be a great base since a capsicum and spice it up with the chilies. Onion and garlic would be welcome.

Amchoor (dried green mango) could add a traditional tartness.

Checking this thread as an organic grower will hopefully have some trinidad scorpions for me in a month or so and the general idea of a green mango is interesting!
My question is, if the sauce is fermented and/or has vinegar, wouldn't the green mango make it more sour?

The Hot Pepper said:
Personally I would not use tomato. Tomato can totally change an Indian dish, jalfrezi for example, vs curry. I think red bell would be a great base since a capsicum and spice it up with the chilies. Onion and garlic would be welcome.

Amchoor (dried green mango) could add a traditional tartness.

It's used in Indian cooking and is tart but very citrusy and unique, and if making a sauce for a friend you don't need to necessarily pH balance it if they keep it in the fridge. So you may opt for no vinegar, or you could just add a bit of amchoor.

Mango powder is one of the few Indian ingredients i dont have.

I do have a really nice ripe Bell of Gollu that is close to the same size as a small roma. They are pretty sweet and juicy. I think it might pair well with the ghosts too

7 Ghost peppers
4 Mystery peppers
1 MOA red bonnet
1 Bell of Gollu
1 Golf ball size red shallot
1/2 tsp ginger garlic paste
1/4-1/2 tsp Cumin seed and coriander seed
Vinegar
10 red jalapenos (or 15 red fresnos)
5 ghost peppers
Half an onion, roasted on grill
2 bell of gollu
2 cloves garlic
ginger, cumin, coriander
Juice of half a lemon

Agni's Revenge has begun. I had to transfer it to a crock pot or die since my range hood does not vent to the outside. The mystery pepper is hotter than the bonnets but the ghosts were hotter. The MOA red was super sweet from leaving it ripe on the plant longer. WONDERFUL pepper from MWCH.

MaQ6IhW.jpg

AZjFntu.jpg

ShowMeDaSauce said:
My brother is hounding me for a ghost pepper sauce. Im thinking mostly ghost, a red bonnet and a few of my "mystery" peppers. Probably something like 6 ghost/4Naga?/1bonnet. I just know this is gunna be hotter than he can handle so i dont want to make a large amount. Plus making really hot sauce is very unpleasant for me anyway.

Im thinking...

1 small roman
Maybe a little ginger

Really not sure on the vinegar but maybe something with a little sweetness like a white balsamic to help take the edge off. :D

Have you ever tried fig vinager. It dark rich and IMO better pairing than balsamic.

ShowMeDaSauce said:

Im thinking...

1 small roma
Maybe a little ginger

I'd switch out the roma for about 3/4 pound of sweet red bells to match with those ghosts.  It will help bulk up your sauce and tame some (not much) of the heat.  I'll normally use about 2 cups of vinegar (your choice) to 1 lb of peppers/garlic/etc.  

Some of those fresh cherries would be a nice offset as well - are they sweet or tart cherries?

Back