• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

10a/10b growing

Hi All,

I live in Oakland, CA in a small apartment. I didnt get a chance to start seeds this year between work and finding space.

My apartment does have a roof that gets great sun (lugging water up there is a different matter).

My question is - can I grow year round in 10a/10b? Im not exactly sure which zone we are in, as Oakland has several small microclimates and the SF/Oakland Bay keeps temperatures pretty moderate. It almost never freezes, and if it does, I could cover the plants. Winters here are usually in the 40s overnight occasionally dropping to high 30s with daytime temps in the 50s to low 60s depending on sun or cloud/fog cover.

Id like to start some seeds now and move them outside rather quickly with some shade cloth and see what happens in the next few months. October here is quite pleasant. It may be they grow slowly or go dormant from November to February or March but I doubt they would die. And then Id have an early start on next year.

Thoughts on whether its worth it? I have a ton of seeds and wondering any varieties (maybe pubes?) would do better surviving a moderate winter.

C.pubescens can tolerate low temperatures better than most other chili varieties, so if you can keep them from freezing up sure go ahead and try growing some of those.

You won't have any problems growing any type of pepper in your location.

I'm in 9b, and I've got a year round growing season.

solid7 said:
You won't have any problems growing any type of pepper in your location.

I'm in 9b, and I've got a year round growing season.
Nice. Good to know. Now to figure out what varieties. I think more than 5-7 plants will kill me lugging water to the roof. I have 60ish varieties...

I'm in 10b. Year round growing for me, though it gets slow during the winter. When spring hits, you'll be happy you dont have to worry about cutting them back and overwintering and putting them back out hoping no freak April snowstorm (I'm from Minnesota, originally)

ximjym said:
I'm in 10b. Year round growing for me, though it gets slow during the winter. When spring hits, you'll be happy you dont have to worry about cutting them back and overwintering and putting them back out hoping no freak April snowstorm (I'm from Minnesota, originally)
Ive overwintered and overall it was pretty unsuccessful. They were fine indoors but I think I moved them outside too early so the nighttime temps were too low and they got fried on a really nice early spring day.

Back