• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

My pepper plants losing flowers

Hi guys. All of my pepper plants drops flowers. I dont know why and what i have to do.
it is normal for the first to fall off or not? Will they be better later?

Attachments

• D0991399-5275-4016-8D86-ED72BFAB7D47.jpeg
    D0991399-5275-4016-8D86-ED72BFAB7D47.jpeg
    83.2 KB · Views: 120
  • B719D839-644D-4D2A-9337-4BA01AA6CBC4.jpeg
    B719D839-644D-4D2A-9337-4BA01AA6CBC4.jpeg
    80 KB · Views: 96
  • 03A7C925-E7C9-4F75-AD73-F1D35E86F60F.jpeg
    03A7C925-E7C9-4F75-AD73-F1D35E86F60F.jpeg
    70.3 KB · Views: 98
Mine seem to drop flowers when the temps linger around 100 for too long. Some varieties more than others. I know a lot of people on here use shade cloth.

It sure looks to me like there is some overwatering going on there.  I see evidence of what looks like edema on the leaves in the pictures.  If so, that could definitely be one of the culprits.
The leaf in the lower right corner of the first pic has white spots.  Am I just dreaming that, or if you flip the leaf over, is there bumps?

Thank you for the answers all. I see that my plants are a little too small. Looks like they need more time. It has been very hot in Norway this summer so there was some extra watering :). But there is one who has survived :) cool if there are more that grows :)

Attachments

• 822BFCEA-B036-400E-813E-1619825E3649.jpeg
    822BFCEA-B036-400E-813E-1619825E3649.jpeg
    149.5 KB · Views: 91
  • F20C8F50-E2D9-4B35-A6E2-4022DCD36436.jpeg
    F20C8F50-E2D9-4B35-A6E2-4022DCD36436.jpeg
    99.9 KB · Views: 101
Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F or too high >85F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
[SIZE=11pt]11. Too much grower attention/anxiety[/SIZE]

willard3 said:
Flower drop probable causes:

1. Day temp too high >95F
2. Night temp too low <65F or too high >85F
3. Too much nitrogen fertilizer
4. Too much water
5. Low light levels (reduces fertility).
6. Very low humidity (reduces fertility)
7. Poor air circulation (air circulation contributes to pollination).
8. Lack of pollinating insects.
9. Size of pot
10. Too much mineral in feedwater.
[SIZE=11pt]11. Too much grower attention/anxiety[/SIZE]

12. Too young to produce, even if it is flowering.

not my experience that age and size matters, if the conditions are right you'll get pods on the first Y. I have a 35cms x30cms trinidad moruga scorpion peach with 20+ pods for example.

are you able to put say 2 of them outside and only bring them in when the weather is bad?, conditions maybe more favourable outside the GH especially when its hot.

Technically, a 6 inch twig will produce. I can take a photo when I get home but I left two plants in separate three inch pots and they both have at least one full sized pod.
Of course your plants may not want to produce much but they definitely will.

AndyW said:
Technically, a 6 inch twig will produce.

When my small things show signs of flowering during the indoor growing, i just top them up and once the sidestems start to flower i just let them do just that.

solid7 said:
It sure looks to me like there is some overwatering going on there.  I see evidence of what looks like edema on the leaves in the pictures.  If so, that could definitely be one of the culprits.
The leaf in the lower right corner of the first pic has white spots.  Am I just dreaming that, or if you flip the leaf over, is there bumps?
I have lots of experience with flower drop, my first three seasons almost made me give up growing totally. The plants are not too small its entirely possible for a tiny plant to produce from its first flowers as I have seen this in greenhouses locally.

In my own yard I find the plants will drop the first few flowers before getting into gear and fruiting. I have a Choc hab that drops hundreds of flowers the first few months of the season then pods up towards the end and has done this for three years.

The reason I quoted Solid7s response is because I too believe overwatering could be a major factor for flower drop. In my case I eventually found out that UNEVEN DISTRIBUTION of moisture throughout the soil was the culprit. I had both dry and soggy soil in my pots.

You need to find a soil or potting mix that maintains its moisture retention as well as its drainage/aeration for the full season. A soil that breaks down to quickly can become soggy and anaerobic. The structure should not be dense or too fluffy.

Then just fertilise with s 3:1:2 mix with trace elements and you should be on track. Also water should have the correct PH ~6.5 this makes a huge difference in my experience.

Good luck

Jase4224 said:
I have lots of experience with flower drop, my first three seasons almost made me give up growing totally. The plants are not too small its entirely possible for a tiny plant to produce from its first flowers as I have seen this in greenhouses locally.

In my own yard I find the plants will drop the first few flowers before getting into gear and fruiting. I have a Choc hab that drops hundreds of flowers the first few months of the season then pods up towards the end and has done this for three years.

The reason I quoted Solid7s response is because I too believe overwatering could be a major factor for flower drop. In my case I eventually found out that UNEVEN DISTRIBUTION of moisture throughout the soil was the culprit. I had both dry and soggy soil in my pots.

You need to find a soil or potting mix that maintains its moisture retention as well as its drainage/aeration for the full season. A soil that breaks down to quickly can become soggy and anaerobic. The structure should not be dense or too fluffy.

Then just fertilise with s 3:1:2 mix with trace elements and you should be on track. Also water should have the correct PH ~6.5 this makes a huge difference in my experience.

Good luck
Just out of sheer curiosity, how are you getting your trace elements in?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Back