• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

7 Pots & Scotch Bonnets (2018- )

I just received 11 cultivars I ordered from White Hot Peppers:

7 pot yellow
7 pot primo yellow
7 pot barrackpore yellow
7 pot bubblegum yellow
7 pot yellow x 7 pot douglah
Sb7j
Scotch Brains
Scotch Bonnet MOA
Scotch Bonnet TFM
Bonda ma jacques
Bahamian goat

I also received 7 different seed packets as free gifts with my order:

7 Pot Bubblegum Yellow (Small)
Bonda Mahala
Scotch Brains (7 Pot pheno)
Funky Yellow
Dorset Naga Yellow
Devil's Tongue Yellow
Scotch Bonnet Jamaican Long

I'm germinating 2 of each in a 36 cell seed starting tray. The media is 2 parts MG seed starting potting mix plus 1 part perlite and 1 part vermiculite all hydrated with collected rainwater.

Thanks, everyone. I will add chocolate bonnets to my list. This time, as you can see, I limited it to yellow chinenses. Yes, WHP hooked it up with some nice freebies in that same category.
Hopefully, they all break ground and show some hooks around the same time.

Yellows taste the best, no doubt.

This year, I'm growing 40 Scotch Bonnets. 3 Freeport Orange, 3 Safi Red (which scarcely qualify as Bonnets, IMO) and 34 Yella Bonnets, representing four different pedigrees.

Yeah, the yellows are the best... But I'll be growing a few each of red, orange, and chocolates next year, most likely...and a buttload of yellows, for certain.

Thanks for weighing in here bicycle. Wishing you the best luck with the ongoing season and your future plans.
Trident chilli said:
As a bonnet enthusiast Justin has given you a great freebie with the "Jamaican Long" ... definitely a seed to sow if you have time. If you need a photo just shout. All the best
and trident- I've been catching up on reading your 2018 season 5 glog and will continue to follow that here:
http://thehotpepper.com/topic/67256-tridents-fifth-season-bonnetshybrids-2018/#entry1524131
I gather you're a well-versed SB connoisseur with legendary status in the community.
Your opinion is valued, and your list of pepper types just there is humbling. 
I am very excited about working with the new seed stock, as this is my first step at expanding in varieties.
I have seen the pictures of SB Jamaican Long on WHP. I had considered choosing it myself along with the alan boatman and others, but I narrowed down my first choices to what i read were the closest to true form.
I guess i assumed this one was an authentic jamaican type, but a pheno selected for length instead of strictly the classical shape?
Maybe I can email justin and ask him. I am interested to see your specimens too.
Is it like others, in that the shape (as i understand) is effected by the difference in your climate?

You have chosen well .... The Allen Boatman SB was the original true form (TFSB) Bonnet prior to the MoA ... if you placed his pod, Foodarama Yellow SB and a Beth Boyd Yellow SB it would be hard to tell the difference... if you want to give me a shout at the end of the season I am more than happpy to send you some bonnet seed

It really speaks to the quality of the Scotch Bonnet when you see the people on here who barely let anything else into their gardens.

Sometimes I'll see someone's grow list on here and all I can think is "Wow! There's a lot of variety in your lack of variety here!" like 20 different types of SB. lol

Today, I checked on the seed tray and let it breathe for a minute.
It has been under its dome and in a tied-off plastic bag placed in the top of the pantry with a thermometer.
It's maintaining at 80-90oF, mostly within 84-89oF range.

I also started soaking 3 seeds each of the same 18 types.
They are in small condiment cups with labelled lids. 
They had a 15 minute bath in peroxide 1:2 distilled water (about 1% dilution).
Now they're soaking in TM-7 at the recommended concentration.
Soaked 18 hrs. Sown in the lidded cups with the same mix as the tray.
Since I have 50 cups, they each get their own, except for Devil's Tongue, Dorset Naga, Bonda Mahala, & Funky Yellow which only get 2 cups. For these I have a pair in one cup and a single cup like all the others.

Just checked the tray to find...
1 - scotch brains (7 pot pheno)
1 - 7 pot primo
2 - bahamian goat
These are first out of the gate.
I am pleasantly surprised.
< 6 days without soaking.

Reactions: lek
Here are the first 4.
I cut out these parts of the tray and nested them inside another.
Point being to get them out of the humidity dome and place them in the same relative spaces (I have a chart to identify them).
They will go under a 35W LED panel to extend the daylight hours to 16.

Also, I saw there was a disrupted surface in one cell.
So, I carefully checked it and uncovered another hook that had pushed up and was about to break ground.
It's a 7 Pot Yellow x 7 Pot Douglah.

Attachments

• IMG_2088.JPG
    IMG_2088.JPG
    106.4 KB · Views: 81
  • IMG_2089.JPG
    IMG_2089.JPG
    108.8 KB · Views: 73
I uncovered the remaining seeds in the tray of 36. Final result is 26-28 germed successfully.
(Both Bonda Ma Jacques appear viable. One has less than a cm root. The other radicle has barely emerged.)
For one 7 Pot Bubblegum (Large) seedling I had to remove the testa and then the internal seed coat too. It appears to be unscathed. Others may need operations too after I loosened the surface to uncover the hooks.
These failed to germ:
2- SB TFM
2 - Bonda Mahala
2 - Scotch Brains
2 - 7 Pot Bubblegum (Small)

1 Bonda Ma Jacques has shown a hook now. So, it looks like that's definitely part of the first round.
Also, the lidded cups that i started as a 2nd wave are now popping, 5 days after soaking began.
Bahamian goat is a leader again in this group. I think this seed stock must be consistently quick to germ. It's definitely one that I've been looking forward to growing. Funky Yellow broke ground too. Sprouts from these cups will be moved to the cut-out cells to fill the tray.

I checked all of the seeds in cups for testa rupture and radicle emergence. It's pretty spotty. Not sure i like this method. 1 successful germ on SB TFM.
I'm guessing the three strains which I haven't yet succeeded with need more time or more consistent conditions with ideal moisture and oxygen.
Starting a third round of 5 each Scotch brains, BBG7 small, and Bonda Mahala done with paper towel method in bags. They were cleaned with peroxide and are soaking in distilled water overnight.

They have been consolidated 36 to a tray. I felt the weight of some individual cells, which seemed light, so i knew they were dry. About 20 of the earliest ones were bottom fed with 1/3 strength fish&seaweed. Some have shown drought/ light stress with cotyledon tips pointing upward. Dialed back to 12/12 schedule. They are still inside under LED and fan, but not climate controlled. Dealing with some daytime heat up to 90.
The seeds that had not started I put in soil outside and watered with the same fish&seaweed. Now most of them have popped too. I put 8 in peat/perlite in a big styrofoam cup to be separated after they reach 2-3 true leaf sets. They will get indirect sunlight. Very pleased with the overall germination success rate.

Mr. West said:
They have been consolidated 36 to a tray. I felt the weight of some individual cells, which seemed light, so i knew they were dry. About 20 of the earliest ones were bottom fed with 1/3 strength fish&seaweed. Some have shown drought/ light stress with cotyledon tips pointing upward. Dialed back to 12/12 schedule. They are still inside under LED and fan, but not climate controlled. Dealing with some daytime heat up to 90.
The seeds that had not started I put in soil outside and watered with the same fish&seaweed. Now most of them have popped too. I put 8 in peat/perlite in a big styrofoam cup to be separated after they reach 2-3 true leaf sets. They will get indirect sunlight. Very pleased with the overall germination success rate.
Sounds like you are doing a lot, which is common for a new grower. If they were started in 2/3 MG, they do not need any food or fertilizer for quite a while.

Do less. Changing too many things once (light cycle, food, transplanting, etc.,) will make it impossible to determine the impact of each thing and make it difficult to calibrate future grows.

Back