• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Slow and unusual growth

A few weeks ago I planted some crosses that I made. Three pots with three plants in each. In one of the pots two of the plants have been especially slow to grow their first true leaves. When I look closely the growth looks a bit unusual.

This is how one of them looks like close up.

From the side.

And from the behind.

The other one is still too small to get a good picture of.

Does this look normal to you?

Just give them time to grow some roots to the container, then maybe they will start to grow more faster and why did you not plant each plant in their separate pot?

Chilidude said:
Just give them time to grow some roots to the container, then maybe they will start to grow more faster
Maybe you're right. I just thought it was interesting that the growth looked a bit unusual but maybe I'm just seeing things. I don't usually study young plants this closely.

Chilidude said:
and why did you not plant each plant in their separate pot?
I didn't want to use more than one pot for each cross but I thought it was safest to save more than one plant of each in case one died or turned out not crossed. I don't really care about the production on these plants. It's late in the season anyway. I'm just hoping for something interesting and seeds so that I can grow F2s next season.

You can get pods out of super limited root space. I have buds on a plant in a shot glass and multiple pods on a twig in a three inch pot
That doesn't mean you'll get the full impression of the cross though. It might look wicked and taste great, but then when you put one in its own pot, you realize it was wicked looking due to stress and it produces about three pods a year.

AndyW said:
You can get pods out of super limited root space. I have buds on a plant in a shot glass and multiple pods on a twig in a three inch pot
That doesn't mean you'll get the full impression of the cross though. It might look wicked and taste great, but then when you put one in its own pot, you realize it was wicked looking due to stress and it produces about three pods a year.
I caught your words in a search through the posts when you said limited rootspace and on a few sideguys/extras I didn't have the space for, nor the heart to kill I still got at least ten pods off each so far-one being an original ghost pepper and one a reaper.. I've already harvested most the pods but you get the idea..
097204c4de33d8d06b2705344ba3962d.jpg
4f6fd05c706cca5f5cb04abf9f09d18b.jpg

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Mine, by comparison, I never topped and have neglected to feed or water consistently, so it's not looking as hot.

A2A4k2x.jpg

I've just kinda left it and watered when it wilted too bad. Not even 100% what variety it is tbh, but I'm thinking yellow brainstrain

Edit: I just brought it inside for a photo. It's back outside in the morning.

They are fine now.

The earliest leaves are a bit deformed and one of them is branching already. Not sure what caused it. Only thing I can think of is that I used the "paper towel method" except that I used some squared shaped paper that we normally use for cleaning. I guess there is a possibility that they could have been contaminated with a small amount of window cleaning fluid or something like that.

Back