• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

NewMexican Chiles in the Midwest

So I've found frozen Aji Amarillos and Larger Red rocoto so I'm thinking I may be able to continue to cook my peruvian faves without growing those...leaving me with a few open buckets.

One thing I can't seem to find locally is NewMex Chiles, and Dale's NewMexian Flog has me craving the southwest.
Does anyone have any experience to share about growing NewMexican Chiles in the midwest?
Looking for best yields and taste/heat and how they handle our shorter growing season. Good varieties to eat green or red?

Eric I'm looking at you...you always post that awesome picture of your basket full of big green chiles. what kind do you grow?

or maybe I should just buy a box and have them shipped 

ps i've got some big jim winner seeds, and some heritage and such, i'll check my supply
just starting to plan out 2019 :cheers:

Malarky said:
So I've found frozen Aji Amarillos and Larger Red rocoto so I'm thinking I may be able to continue to cook my peruvian faves without growing those...leaving me with a few open buckets.

One thing I can't seem to find locally is NewMex Chiles, and Dale's NewMexian Flog has me craving the southwest.
Does anyone have any experience to share about growing NewMexican Chiles in the midwest?
Looking for best yields and taste/heat and how they handle our shorter growing season. Good varieties to eat green or red?

Eric I'm looking at you...you always post that awesome picture of your basket full of big green chiles. what kind do you grow?

or maybe I should just buy a box and have them shipped 

ps i've got some big jim winner seeds, and some heritage and such, i'll check my supply
just starting to plan out 2019 :cheers:

Wow Matt, it's really a slumgullian I've always put in, a couple different Anaheims varieties mixed with a few NuMex, planted in tight rows that you KNOW are cross pollinating. This year I changed up and have ONLY Big Jims in (Tradewinds), and I'm kind of disappointed in their limited activity. I've always had fantastic luck with the Anaheims, don't know if it's the dirt or the way I hold my fat face....

Tell ya what, and I know it's a risk on your part, but I saved a bunch of seed from my ripe Anaheims last year, and you're welcome to as much as you want. I did have a SUPER harvest last year and my peppers actually had enough heat to impress my Mexican chef friend from Denver. But those pods were all open pollinated WAY!

And oh yeah, they eat great, green or ripe! Very thick and meaty, hell, I still got 5 five-pound chubs in the deep freeze waiting to be sauced (I need a recipe for a Latin-Lime Green Hotsauce).

Walchit said:
Midwest chiliheads grows a lot of numex stuff. Idk how much he scours these pages though. You might just message him. He's a good dude

Second this post and the one above.  MWCH has a great assortment of landrace peppers from the southwest & mexico.  Have made several orders and been happy every time.

Note:  You'll want to start the seeds in Feb I'd guess seeing as you're in Madison.  I have family in the area and they plant out at the end of May.  They start getting pods in mid July.  

Malarky said:

Eric I'm looking at you...you always post that awesome picture of your basket full of big green chiles.

If I was smart (I am not), I'd be growing full plots of these damn things for sale.

14237642_152843068498320_2244821960049026121_n.jpg

Grabbed my seed to give the roaster a workout from NMSU, I run 4 varieties. 6-4 heritage, big Jim, Joe e. Parker and sandia select. Not exactly midwest but growing here in northern co (zone 5a/b) they do very well. Nothing beats a fresh roasted batch of green chiles and I make more space for these guys every year it seems.

I've also had much better luck with these types in the ground rather than containers. They just produce much more and I have far less issues with spotting/sunscald.

stettoman said:

This year I changed up and have ONLY Big Jims in (Tradewinds), and I'm kind of disappointed in their limited activity. 

Big Jims have always put on really nice pods for me, and done so very early.  The only problem is, the plants are little sawed-off shits that never get more than about 15" tall for me. (and that's a tall one)  I literally have this tiny little bush of a plant, that is so laden down with humongous peppers, they drag all over the ground, and I have to protect them, lest they rot.  But damn, they make some big pods, in record time.  

solid7 said:

Big Jims have always put on really nice pods for me, and done so very early.  The only problem is, the plants are little sawed-off shits that never get more than about 15" tall for me. (and that's a tall one)  I literally have this tiny little bush of a plant, that is so laden down with humongous peppers, they drag all over the ground, and I have to protect them, lest they rot.  But damn, they make some big pods, in record time.  

One year, in another garden tilled from the holding pen behind an ancient abandoned barn, I grew an entire patch of, what I just called chile peppers back then, a dozen or more plants over 7 feet tall with the overpopulated huge pods you speak of. There are photographs somewhere, likely on an old hard drive in a closet.

That garden is about 12 miles from where I type. Unused. Now THAT is some dirt I'd like to get a dump truck full...

This year the Big Jims are as you say, a little over knee high. But mine aren't in a hurry this season.

ShowMeDaSauce said:
My Big Jim Heritage are taller than a tomato cage atm. Also a foot taller so a bit over 3ft tall and pretty loaded up with peppers.

I'm not sure if the heritage is different from a regular Big Jim.  But I never got one that tall.  And when I say they podded up, I mean there were more pods than leaves (in terms of surface area).  I think I counted like 30-40 pods on a plant that never got bigger than an end table.  (it may have been 13" in diameter)
Wish I still had pics, but I haven't grown them for a few seasons, and I think the pics I had are on a different phone.

I have several plants growing from World Record Big Jim seed that are all over 3 feet tall with the one with the Robin nest in it about 4 feet tall. A few years ago I had a couple of them in Kratky that were almost 5 feet tall.

midwestchilehead said:
Heritage Big Jim plants don't grow any bigger than regular ones, but put out pods that are hotter, more consistent, and have better flavor than regular Big Jims. Would you like to know more?

Actually, what I'd really like, is some seed. :D

Former Kansan myself.  Howdy, friend.

Back