• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Thinking about selling

I have never sold any of the peppers I have grown, but I have considered it. I have given away hundreds.

Problem is, I have no idea what to charge or how to go about it.

I say this upfront; I will never use PayPal, and I understand that is what most everyone uses for Internet sales.

I'd start by seeing what other fresh pepper vendors are selling for alkhall.  Then I'd advertise your wares in the forum ads section.  Your local post office with give you small & medium flat rate boxes for free.  Costs to ship SFRB are like $7.30 and MFRB are $13.50 ish IIRC.  Keep the shipping costs in mind when setting your prices.

If you want to avoid paypal & the like I would suggest you do all the sales by check or money order only.  It will take a bit longer and you'll have less protection from fraud but it will also save paypal from taking a bit of every one of your transactions.  

Another idea is to approach a vegetable vendor at a local farmer's market and inquire about if they're interested in selling your peppers.  You supply them with whatever you have grown, they pay you cash and then charge whatever they can get for the peppers.  

alkhall said:
I say this upfront; I will never use PayPal, and I understand that is what most everyone uses for Internet sales.
bitcoin-1.jpg

BitCoins?

`

hogleg said:
I've gotten many boxes from members and always paid cash. If they have a high post count and you trust them, you can do cash.

So, do you send cash first, or after you receive the peppers?

alkhall said:

So, do you send cash first, or after you receive the peppers?

Depends how well we know each other I guess. Both parties need to be trusting, I only buy from people I trust. If it's someone I've never bought from before, I likely would send money with tracking to earn trust and then future purchases are usually trusted.
Maybe I'm just lucky I've earned enough trust and references but my usual purchase goes something like this.
Me: "Yo, I'll put cash in the mail tomorrow" Them: "Cool, I'll put a box in the mail tomorrow"
Hypothetical: Since it's someone I trust, If by some chance they said they didn't receive payment (which has never happened) I have it set in my mind I would just send it again but with tracking.
Anything over 50-$60, I most likely do a money order with tracking.
I guess the way I see it is I have tenure here and I would never burn my bridges here. And the people I do biz with are of a like mind.

Good luck, I hope you get some boxes sold this year, Alk  :cheers:

Just curious, why dont you want to deal with PayPal? If they send you say, 20 bucks PayPal charges you 80 cents. There is no charge If they send it friends and family.

CMJ said:
Just curious, why dont you want to deal with PayPal? If they send you say, 20 bucks PayPal charges you 80 cents. There is no charge If they send it friends and family.
`
A long time PayPal user here. Generally there are no problems but the major issue is they will ALWAYS side with the buyer. They buy your stuff then file a complaint and get their money back. While they claim equitable decision making, my experience is quite different.

`

I gotcha. Haven't had any problems.....yet...
The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
`
A long time PayPal user here. Generally there are no problems but the major issue is they will ALWAYS side with the buyer. They buy your stuff then file a complaint and get their money back. While they claim equitable decision making, my experience is quite different.

`

Also if your anti-pal, priority/USPS has free COD forms theyll ship to your house for free or I'm sure you can pick them up from post office free too.. They also ship all the mailers and boxes to your house free of charge on their website-also an easy way to get free cardboard mulch ;)

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Starting to generate some interest in my peppers, but I have no idea what to charge.

I would like to get an idea of what everyone charges, broken down to average price per pod.

Anyone?

Small flat rate boxes seem to sell pretty fast for 18 bucks when people post them. Labeled they go for more. I paid 120 for a labeled mfrb and a Sfrb mailed at a later date from Texas hot peppers last year. I think he was selling labeled mfrb for 80 later in the season

Walchit said:
Small flat rate boxes seem to sell pretty fast for 18 bucks when people post them. Labeled they go for more. I paid 120 for a labeled mfrb and a Sfrb mailed at a later date from Texas hot peppers last year. I think he was selling labeled mfrb for 80 later in the season

I have seen anywhere from $15 to $20 for SFRB, but how many peppers is in a SFRB?

It depends the pepper. I might not fit something like the larger Venezuelan Tiger in a SFRB without smashing it.

The Ecuadoran Hot Lemon Cayenne would probably take 50 or more to fill a SFRB.

However, I am actually talking about selling face-to-face, not mailing.

Therefore, my question was, what would be a good price per pod?

At the Farmer's Market today, bells, and not so unusual hots were going for 2/$1.00, or 2/$1.50. Jalapenos were $1.50/pound.

This doesn't help for the ones you've got to sell, but don't go less, that is for sure.

TrentL is selling his certified organic peppers, so you might check out his prices. Link is under Promotions, Lawrence Family Farms.

Best of luck.

alkhall said:
However, I am actually talking about selling face-to-face, not mailing.

Therefore, my question was, what would be a good price per pod?

Per pod is tough.  Take average pods per pound and divide that way perhaps?  So if it takes 20 pepper ? to make a pound, and price per pound is $20 then $1 per right?  Unusual and truly hot peppers are not often sold fresh, so a premium would be expected.  I'd think $1 to $5 per pod depending on variety/rarity.  Or find a vendor at a farmer's market willing to put a basket of your stuff on the table for the same pricing and split with them.  

Thanks for the replies.

I picked up some FRB at the post office, a medium and two small.

I sold some pods to our company Controller:

iPgPc2z.jpg

Does that look like a fair SFRB?

Also, took some pics with some large pods in a SFRB.

Bhutlah (I can close it without crushing them too badly):

XAu4djP.jpg

Venezuelan Tiger (these definitely will not fit without being crushed):

zF6Xkju.jpg

Back