11 replies to this topic

#1 Pharthan

Pharthan

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 03:48 PM

This is my third ferment, so I still don't exactly know what I'm doing.

image.jpg?width=351&height=468

Ingredients:

Onion: 65.2g

Garlic: 150g

Serrano: 736.7g

Habanero (Green and Orange): 110g

Jalapeno: 779.7g

Water: 2 Cups (436g) + Top Brine Layer (~1/16cup)

Pickling Salt: 110g (~5%) + a few grams for the brine layer

A few scoops of activated yeast starter. (I let it run its course for a short while, since I haven't worked with it before)

Chose the lower salt-content due to blood pressure issues.

This time I made sure to boil as much of the equipment as I could for >5 minutes (much of it >10 minutes), as well as washing it beforehand.

Featured in the background are the smoking chips I plan to age the ferment with in about a week (after cleansing them in Jack Daniels first). Hopefully that gives it a smokey, oakey flavor. 

I don't plan on making a sample bottle of sauce until 3 months in.

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 SmokenFire

SmokenFire

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 4,082 posts
  • aka:the ralphster
  • (x9)

Posted 10 August 2018 - 04:27 PM

Looks great Pharthan!  I'd suggest an airlock for you - takes the hassle out of burping jars and helps keep outside air getting in.  I ordered a pack of these about 4 months ago and like them more than the traditional airlocks I have used in the past.  

It felt like satan pissed in my mouth it was so hot and lasted a long time. It was a horrible experience eating one of them. - SavinaRed
I would love to travel to your castle to roam the land,eat pie and hunt woman. - sicman

#3 shortsonfire79

shortsonfire79

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 05:30 PM

Looks good Pharthan. Boiling was a great idea.

You may want to look into different oak chips. I have no experience other than forums, but it looks like what you have are for smoking meats and stuff. You'll probably want to get toasted wood chips from a homebrew store. These are intended to impart smokey, oaky flavors to beers (and hot sauce I suppose), whereas the ones you have are meant to be burned in a grill/smoker to infuse with meats. Additionally, if you do decide to look into toasted wood chips, you'll probably want to boil them to reduce the overall amount of tannin in the chips. This is common in homebrewing.

I ordered a pack of these about 4 months ago and like them more than the traditional airlocks I have used in the past.  

Those look super convenient! Retains the reusability of a mason jar better than traditional airlocks.

Pharthan if you decide to go traditional dual-s/three piece airlock, you can just drill a 1/2" hole in the mason lid and hot glue the airlock in place. If you decide to toss the jars later, you can easily pull the airlocks off to reuse later.

#4 Pharthan

Pharthan

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 10 August 2018 - 07:17 PM

Looks good Pharthan. Boiling was a great idea.

You may want to look into different oak chips. I have no experience other than forums, but it looks like what you have are for smoking meats and stuff. You'll probably want to get toasted wood chips from a homebrew store. These are intended to impart smokey, oaky flavors to beers (and hot sauce I suppose), whereas the ones you have are meant to be burned in a grill/smoker to infuse with meats. Additionally, if you do decide to look into toasted wood chips, you'll probably want to boil them to reduce the overall amount of tannin in the chips. This is common in homebrewing.

Those look super convenient! Retains the reusability of a mason jar better than traditional airlocks.

Pharthan if you decide to go traditional dual-s/three piece airlock, you can just drill a 1/2" hole in the mason lid and hot glue the airlock in place. If you decide to toss the jars later, you can easily pull the airlocks off to reuse later.

I originally planned on toasted oak cubes, but I kind of thought to myself: What's the difference?

It's still toasted oak, just previously used to hold whiskey. It's effectively what Tabasco uses. After a bit of soaking in Jack Daniels (and perhaps boiling, as you've suggested) I for the life of me can't find anything that would be different. I could totally be wrong, but... I dunno. I've just thought about it a fair bit. I'm new to the hotsauce game, so there is a definite possibility that whatever I could be overlooking could be more than just a minor thing, though.

EDIT:
I looked in a few homebrewing forums, and they tend to get good reviews from all who have used them for homebrews. It seems that about 50% of people recommend sterilization. I'll probably start with Jack Daniels as a sterilizer, then a quick boiling water bath to try to get rid of some of the alcohol to prevent it from doing anything potentially bad to the sauce.

Edited by Pharthan, 10 August 2018 - 07:23 PM.

#5 karoo

karoo

Smokin' Hot

• Extreme
  • 1,450 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 02:49 AM

That mix looks spot on!

If you want to sterilize and toast the wood , just put it in the oven at low heat.

" I wish I was as young as the first time I said, " I'm getting to old for this sh!t." "

#6 Pharthan

Pharthan

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 11 August 2018 - 05:31 AM

That mix looks spot on!

If you want to sterilize and toast the wood , just put it in the oven at low heat.

Ideally, it's already toasted. Some of the sides are already thoroughly blackened. I'm more worried about introducing contaminants, and don't want to give it a burnt flavor, just smokey.

#7 Pharthan

Pharthan

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 August 2018 - 07:04 PM

So, a problem has arisen:

It's been four days thusfar. The mash smells fine - but there isn't any fermentation happening!

Could this be because of too much moisture?

#8 shortsonfire79

shortsonfire79

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 10:48 AM

There's no "pop" or pressure release when you open your jars? My first one didn't actively ferment for like a month. When it did, it wasn't a very vigorous fermentation either. I let the jars sit for six months. The end result was well received by several people.

You said you added a yeast starter but I think that hot sauce fermentation is supposed to be a lactobacillus fermentation. I innoculated my current batch with some kimchi juice; it took off within a few hours and fermented (too) vigorously for about two weeks. You could give that a try.

Moisture won't be a problem. Some people ferment in a fully submerged solution with roughly chopped peppers.

#9 Pharthan

Pharthan

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 14 August 2018 - 08:09 PM

There's no "pop" or pressure release when you open your jars? My first one didn't actively ferment for like a month. When it did, it wasn't a very vigorous fermentation either. I let the jars sit for six months. The end result was well received by several people.

You said you added a yeast starter but I think that hot sauce fermentation is supposed to be a lactobacillus fermentation. I innoculated my current batch with some kimchi juice; it took off within a few hours and fermented (too) vigorously for about two weeks. You could give that a try.

Moisture won't be a problem. Some people ferment in a fully submerged solution with roughly chopped peppers.

No, no "pop" with the jars and no visible bubbling inside the jars. I've done a couple of other ferments, each of them with a few jars that each gave some rather rewarding pops within the first few days and died off after a week.

#10 SmokenFire

SmokenFire

Smokin' Hot

• Moderators
  • 4,082 posts
  • aka:the ralphster
  • (x9)

Posted 15 August 2018 - 12:55 PM

So, a problem has arisen:

It's been four days thusfar. The mash smells fine - but there isn't any fermentation happening!

Could this be because of too much moisture?

Pepper ferments run a LOT slower than other stuff like beer & wine.  Let it ride.  Watch for small air pockets forming in the mash.  So long as you're getting good smells and those air pockets are forming you're fine.  

It felt like satan pissed in my mouth it was so hot and lasted a long time. It was a horrible experience eating one of them. - SavinaRed
I would love to travel to your castle to roam the land,eat pie and hunt woman. - sicman

#11 emanphoto

emanphoto

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 10:25 AM

I've had ferments that barely made a bubble and those that go nuts.  It seems to depend partially on the chili used.  Jalapeños seem to show little activity but taste great anyway with a low 3.5pH after 30 days.  Also I smoke my chilies and since there is heat involved that may kill off the good bacteria, I try to remember to toss in an unsmoked fresh handful of each ingredient.  Once or twice I forgot to do that and the activity was low there too but still good tasting sauces.

#12 Pharthan

Pharthan

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts

Posted 23 August 2018 - 09:40 PM

Pepper ferments run a LOT slower than other stuff like beer & wine.  Let it ride.  Watch for small air pockets forming in the mash.  So long as you're getting good smells and those air pockets are forming you're fine.  

Sure enough, a few days after this post of yours they did start to ferment... a bit more than anticipated, too. I actually had to remove some of the brine and mash because it swelled too much. I may have only give them 1.5" of headspace instead of 2".

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests