• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Chiltepin cross

I saved some seeds from my Rock Corral Canyon Chiltepin plants I grew last year.  I especially liked this particular type chiltepin because it was apparent that the size of the peppers were uniformly larger than those from my other chiltepin varieties.  I have a row of six of the plants that are doing well with lots of green pods.  It will be another few weeks before they start to ripen up, but I found a few hidden near the bottom of some of the plants that were ripe.  The plants have obviously crossed at some point with something else.  The results I am very happy with!  They are now significantly larger peppers, about the same heat level, longer lasting heat, fruity,  and very meaty. 

One of the plants from a pic a couple of weeks ago, lots of flowers and pods since...

tepinplant.jpg

I have some frozen chiltepins from last year for size comparison...

tepin.jpg

IMG_7651.jpg

So I am hoping the plants continue producing this excellent cross...whatever it is!

The plant will keep producing those peppers as long as it is alive. You could (and likely will) get variation if you save seeds.

Might want to check out the overwintering guidelines and keep this one going.

austin87 said:
 You could (and likely will) get variation if you save seeds.

The variation from chiltepin crosses is super cool though they're so close to the wild relatives that they do some really cool things when they start to segregate. You should totally save seeds!

Any idea who the father is?

Chiletepins.

My favorite chile.

I was going to grow this year but life got in the way.

So those plants are having sex with their cousins?

Nature be kinky.

I have 6 of them and they are all so far putting out the same pods.  I don't know that much about how crosses can occur, so that's why I don't know if the other flowers might have different "fathers" in their future and produce different peppers.  I have a lot of varieties planted all within a 10x20 garden.  DeArbol, Choclate Hab, Fresno, Cajun Belle, Jamaican Red and Yellow Hot, Scotch Bonnet Orange, Peach Hab, Red Hab, Chocolate Fatalii, Aji Limo, Mini-Rocoto and Mirasol.  So no telling.  So I guess in the meantime I will save those seeds from the pods that have so far turned out this way, in case they change.

If I had my way....

My entire back yard would be half chiletepin and half pequin.

Alas...

mrs. blues chose to lay down new bermuda sod last month.

I'm only her gigolo so she calls the shots.

The grass is beautiful.

But nothing like wading through a big patch of mother chiles.

Watch out for tomato worms.

They can burn down a plant overnight. 

So doing some research I see that it is last years cross pollinating that would create the new type of chiltepin plant.  So as Austin67 points out I should expect the plant(s) to continue producing the same type of pepper.  In light of this it becomes somewhat easier to guess what the donor peppers were.  They were grown next to some other chiltepins and Chocolate Habs, DeArbol's, Fresno's and...Cascabella.

cascabella.JPG

The Cascabella's I grew last year next to the Chiltepins were juicy and hot.

PepperJackOne said:
So doing some research I see that it is last years cross pollinating that would create the new type of chiltepin plant.  So as Austin67 points out I should expect the plant(s) to continue producing the same type of pepper.  In light of this it becomes somewhat easier to guess what the donor peppers were.  They were grown next to some other chiltepins and Chocolate Habs, DeArbol's, Fresno's and...Cascabella.

cascabella.JPG

doing some research I see that it is last years cross pollinating that would create the new type of chiltepin plant.  So as Austin67 points out I should expect the plant(s) to continue producing the same type of pepper.  In light of this it becomes somewhat easier to guess what the donor peppers were.  They were grown next to some other chiltepins and Chocolate Habs, DeArbol's, Fresno's and...Cascabella.

cascabella.JPG

Try your very best to stabilize it. You can do this by choosing plants from the cross that taste like the original or better

This makes me really want to cross a Chilitepin with a hot cherry pepper. Hoping for a large, thick walled, and hotter pepper that grows upright.

A few years ago I saved Chilitepin X Reaper seeds from a SFRB. I got a cool upright, larger pepper when I grew it out. Was not nearly as hot as I had hoped (or the parent pod it came out of).

austin87 said:
This makes me really want to cross a Chilitepin with a hot cherry pepper. Hoping for a large, thick walled, and hotter pepper that grows upright.

A few years ago I saved Chilitepin X Reaper seeds from a SFRB. I got a cool upright, larger pepper when I grew it out. Was not nearly as hot as I had hoped (or the parent pod it came out of).

do you still have any of those seeds? or pictures of the fruit? that sounds really interesting

Gorizza said:

do you still have any of those seeds? or pictures of the fruit? that sounds really interesting
I may have pics of the original fruit that I saved seeds from but I will need to dig through photobucket. I do not have pics of the plant or pods that I grew out last season.

I just started some of the saved Chilitepin X Reaper seeds but Im not sure if I have any left. I can check and get back to you later today. Either way, I plan to save seeds from the seeds I just started so should have some for 2019.

Gorizza said:

peppers.PNG

Chilitepin X Reaper are the small roundish ones in the middle. I got them in a box from 96strat in 2016. Still not sure if I have any of the seeds out of these fruits (I may have started all of them in the past few weeks) but assuming they germinate and grow out I will save seeds from these.

Austin

Gorizza said:

The variation from chiltepin crosses is super cool though they're so close to the wild relatives that they do some really cool things when they start to segregate. You should totally save seeds!

Any idea who the father is?

What do you mean with 'do some cool things when they start to segregate'? Do you have any examples of those 'cool things'? I ask because I've created two Cumari Pollux crosses this year.

b3rnd said:

What do you mean with 'do some cool things when they start to segregate'? Do you have any examples of those 'cool things'? I ask because I've created two Cumari Pollux crosses this year.
I assume he means they tend to be pretty crazy in F2. Since wild peppers tend to give mostly dominant genes to the pepper.

b3rnd said:

What are the Cumari Pollux crosses you're growing like? Or did you just make the cross this year?

I'm growing out a few this year, and it seems the praetermissum genes are extremely dominant in the F1 stage. I thought maybe some weren't actually properly crossed at first. But, even when Cumari Pollux was the male parent, they still look very much like Cumari Pollux, maybe just with slightly larger fruit.

Jubnat said:
What are the Cumari Pollux crosses you're growing like? Or did you just make the cross this year?

I'm growing out a few this year, and it seems the praetermissum genes are extremely dominant in the F1 stage. I thought maybe some weren't actually properly crossed at first. But, even when Cumari Pollux was the male parent, they still look very much like Cumari Pollux, maybe just with slightly larger fruit.
As I said wild peppers tend to have dominant genes. So basically in the F1 stage it's a Cumari Pollux. But in the next generation it will explode with crazy varieties. Also what peppers did you breed, the Cumari Pollux and what else.

Jubnat said:

Wow, that's interesting! I just made them this year, so I still have to grow them out. Which crosses did you make? 

SpeakPolish said:
As I said wild peppers tend to have dominant genes. So basically in the F1 stage it's a Cumari Pollux. But in the next generation it will explode with crazy varieties. Also what peppers did you breed, the Cumari Pollux and what else.

Interesting, I can't wait to see what happens with these. I made Aji Angelo x Cumari Pollux and Cumari Pollux x Pimenta da Neyde.

b3rnd said:

Wow, that's interesting! I just made them this year, so I still have to grow them out. Which crosses did you make? 

Interesting, I can't wait to see what happens with these. I made Aji Angelo x Cumari Pollux and Cumari Pollux x Pimenta da Neyde.
So, they set right? That sounds amazing, especially the Pimienta de Neyde. I really hope they germinate and produce pods. Good luck

b3rnd said:

What do you mean with 'do some cool things when they start to segregate'? Do you have any examples of those 'cool things'?

Basically what the others said. I don't know if i would call them "dormant genes" but it seems to me that there are lots of dominant alleles in wild and semi-wild species that combine to produce many small fruit. They those alleles are randomly replaced by a domesticated pepper, you can get a lot of different variation in recombinant inbred lines.
I can't find any evidence of this right now but I am sure it exists, I'll come back to this later.

Back