• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

pests anyone use warm casting to repel pest?

here are my dwarf prik kee nu pepper seedling.   i grow it outdoor.  i use nothing but warm tea and thin layer of warm casting to repel pest.  it seems to be an effective solution. pepper leaves look quite beautiful.  :onfire:

does anyone here use warm casting to repel pest?

43294009524_23eddae684_z.jpg

43106481755_29f01298de_z.jpg

43106479505_82dd8ca39c_z.jpg

Doesn't work.  I use worm castings every year, and every year, I get pests.  Where there are pests and food, there are pests on the food.  It's worse if your plants are in bad shape, but they don't avoid healthy plants.  Doesn't matter if top dressed, sprayed on, etc.

We have a known endemic of these pests where I live.  Nobody gets away, worm castings or no.

lek said:
here are my dwarf prik kee nu pepper seedling.   i grow it outdoor.  i use nothing but warm tea and thin layer of warm casting to repel pest.  it seems to be an effective solution. pepper leaves look quite beautiful.  :onfire:

does anyone here use warm casting to repel pest?

43294009524_23eddae684_z.jpg

43106481755_29f01298de_z.jpg

43106479505_82dd8ca39c_z.jpg
`

solid7 said:
Doesn't work.  I use worm castings every year, and every year, I get pests.  Where there are pests and food, there are pests on the food.  It's worse if your plants are in bad shape, but they don't avoid healthy plants.  Doesn't matter if top dressed, sprayed on, etc.

We have a known endemic of these pests where I live.  Nobody gets away, worm castings or no.
`
Congrats Lek! Condolences solid7.

`

solid7 said:

i guess there is not enough concentrations of chitinase. worm casting contains various forms of chitinase. this enzyme breaks chitin down into chitosan.  so exoskeleton of insect will soon to dissolve. 

you might do simple test.  use 1 inch layer of worm casting around your pepper plant.  ant will not cross this layer.

I don't tend to have aphid problems. For me, it's Whitely and broad mite. As you know, one flies, and the other hitches a ride on the legs of the first. So, they never touch the castings.

In theory, spraying with worm tea would kill beneficials, also.

Reactions: lek
solid7 said:
I don't tend to have aphid problems. For me, it's Whitely and broad mite. As you know, one flies, and the other hitches a ride on the legs of the first. So, they never touch the castings.

Warm tea FTW LOL

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

solid7 said:
So, they never touch the castings.

they don't need to touch the casting.  chitianses is in plant tissue.  once you can raise the level of chitianses, it can repel chewing and sucking insects like aphids, whiteflies, spider mites and any pest that feeds on plant juice.
furthermore, your pepper plant will have resistance to fungal diseases.   

just make sure that your warm casting is not mixed with compost, filler or other raw material.   

Lek, does it matter what the worms ate to create the castings?

I use red wigglers to compost coffee grinds, tea leaves, and table scraps...  but i recall, from earlier threads, that you vermicompost cowshit using crawlers  Will either flavor of casting contain chitinase?

Bicycle808 said:
Lek, does it matter what the worms ate to create the castings?

I use red wigglers to compost coffee grinds, tea leaves, and table scraps...  but i recall, from earlier threads, that you vermicompost cowshit using crawlers  Will either flavor of casting contain chitinase?

yes, it does matter.

in order to increase level of chitinase in worm casting, you can feed your worm with dead insect, e.g. flies, pupa cover.

so you just add some dead insects and dry material that is mushroom friendly into your worm bin.  
happy organic growing!  :party:

So I tried this as an experiment, after reading this topic. Unfortunately, I cannot agree that worm castings repel ants or aphids. See video...

https://youtu.be/-h7Kq22Iut0

To rid ants or aphids, mix diatomaceous earth, 1/2 cup to 2 cups of water, pour into a hand sprayer. Lightly spray around the plant. When the diatomaceous earth becomes dry again it will absorb moister from the attacking insect body. May take several hours to do this. 
Place a small dish/plate of an equal part, 4 tbsp baking soda & borax, mix in 2 tbsp powder sugar, place next to the pepper plants. The ants will carry this back to their nest and it will destroy their eggs. (note: don't let it get wet or they won't carry it.)

To make your own worm casting tea, 
Materials needed:
1-quart jar of worm castings (vermicast).
1 pantyhose, (cut a piece 1.5-foot length from the toe.)
5-gallon bucket
Process:

1) 3-gallon rainwater or distilled water.
2) Fill the castings into pantyhose.
3) Twist & tie the end to hang on the handle from the side of the bucket with the bag in the water.
4) Let sit for 2 hours.
5) Knead the castings to get all water out, a dark chocolate milk color.
6) Dilute 1 part worm tea to 5 parts rainwater to drench around the pepper plant.

Note: 1 inch of worm castings can be used around the plant.

I make good worm castings. Made with a combination of table scraps, rabbit manure, seaweed, and a lot of dead bugs. (Since they are always present in the process)

I use black soldier fly. They are supposed to be one of the best compost makers, as they refuse almost nothing. They will even cannibalize each other. Between that, and the other insects, I would almost have to be feeding them a pure insect diet to raise chitinase levels any higher...

solid7 said:
I use black soldier fly. They are supposed to be one of the best compost makers, as they refuse almost nothing. They will even cannibalize each other. Between that, and the other insects, I would almost have to be feeding them a pure insect diet to raise chitinase levels any higher...
i don't know whether black soldier fly has bacteria that can produce chitinase or not.   chitinase assay kit should give you an answer. 

Back