• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Growing Wild Peppers

I haven't seen many posts in regard to growing Wiri Wiri Peppers, so I thought I would post my experience.  I was lucky enough in spring of '17 to get one of my Wiri Wiri seeds to sprout and make a beautiful potted plant (Top one in the large pot).
Genus.jpg

It had flowered a lot but did not produce any pods.  I cloned some branches over the winter which resulted in 6 healthy plants that I planted this spring in two of my raised beds.  They have grown fast and healthy and have been covered in flowers for the last month or more.
wiris.jpg

wiri flowers.jpg

I'm keeping my fingers crossed that I will eventually get some pods.

I also cloned an Amarillo Chiltepin and Pima Bajo Chiltepin this winter and planted 3 of each in one of my raised beds this spring.  They have grown large and fast.  This is the Pima Bajo mother plant.

PimaBajo.jpg

The Pima Bajo Chiltepin clones...

pima plant.jpg

pima closeup.jpg

The Amarillo Chiltepin clones...

amarillo bedd.jpg

amarillo pepps.jpg

Planting chiltepins in raised beds are the only way to go for me otherwise it would be a PITA at harvest time, LOL.

Your potted plants look great, I like the pots/style you have. I would hate to have to harvest all those tiny fruit lol one cumari do para was enough for me to give up smaller podding varieties!

Jase4224 said:
Your potted plants look great, I like the pots/style you have. I would hate to have to harvest all those tiny fruit lol one cumari do para was enough for me to give up smaller podding varieties!

If I did not have these raised beds available, growing these would be out of the question.  What I really like about these chiltepins is the way they pop off the stem with ease when ripe.  Harvesting goes pretty quick when you don't need clippers :P

Back