• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Late start

Late start but seems we are starting to get a little headsteam now (south Louisiana). We have a nice long growing season here. Jalapenos have been producing nicely, Hibanero are starting to take off. I'm seeing small buds on ghost and Reapers also.

I tried a little test with the fabric and plastic ppt on my two Reapers, they seem neck and neck. These are the 5gal fabric. Should I move to a 5 gal bucket? The fabric seems small. Is it safe to transfer at this point? Any pointers? Just add more mixing soil and transfer whole plant with soil it's in now?
Thanks O'great wise groweres,lol.
517508d21c40efd83632708b7b2f516e.jpg
fa402ace2e79e5e6f33842d7186d6ef1.jpg
2c1a9b8c22da6abf832477e3b4f560dc.jpg
d816dfb3755f4c84322a83e978badc62.jpg
d5da9dad2eee4a18605c85609a1f6b9e.jpg

The fabric pot shouldn't make that much of a difference until the roots grow to the edge of the pot and air prune (tip dies and root grows more laterals - it's actually very similar to topping a plant, but happens under ground).

When the roots hit the edge of the plastic pot they just turn and continue growing. Getting root bound should be a bigger problem in those.

Both plants look good and healthy but don't look big enough to be anywhere near filling the pots with roots.

austin87 said:
The fabric pot shouldn't make that much of a difference until the roots grow to the edge of the pot and air prune (tip dies and root grows more laterals - it's actually very similar to topping a plant, but happens under ground).

When the roots hit the edge of the plastic pot they just turn and continue growing. Getting root bound should be a bigger problem in those.

Both plants look good and healthy but don't look big enough to be anywhere near filling the pots with roots.
Thank you.
I was just comparing the two different options. I have some 5 gal buckets ready, don't want to deprive them.

Boarider said:
Thank you.
I was just comparing the two different options. I have some 5 gal buckets ready, don't want to deprive them.
Yeah they are good. You should have a long growing season. Wait until they are 3-4 feet tall and bushy. Cool thing about the plastic pot is you can slide the whole dirt clump and root ball out to take a look at it, and it's actually easier if it's root bound.

But no need to transplant anytime soon.

you are better off leaving them the way they are. no need to transplant except maybe the one in the maroon colored pot in the first pic. it looks small compared to the 5 gallon buckets and bags.  

luvmesump3pp3rz said:
you are better off leaving them the way they are. no need to transplant except maybe the one in the maroon colored pot in the first pic. it looks small compared to the 5 gallon buckets and bags.  
Agreed, it's an orange habanero that I have 10 or so of and produce like crazy. It was an experiment soil. But they all took off. So no good evidence to change anything.

The newest struggle.
Found 5 this morning. I'm guessing the blacklight and hand picking them is the best way to remove them? Would need help? Not really wanting to put anything on them 5his late in the game.
f6e9f6ed2f4b35c0551973ea3468bffe.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930AZ using Tapatalk

Back