• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting A Few Ferment questions

As I await my pickle pipe ferm air locks.. wanted to ask if I can leave the ferment for longer than 4 weeks,& if so  how long   can these ferment go/2 mths /longer?
  Does it have to be refrigerated  if it is allowed  to go longer...or will a cool place suffice?

I have some carambola /starfruit and tamarind pulp...can I add these,in different bottles  when I start the ferm process?

Appreciate your input. ;)

wiriwiri said:
.....wanted to ask if I can leave the ferment for longer than 4 weeks,& if so  how long   can these ferment go/2 mths /longer? 
They sure can, Sandy. Let them ferment for as long as you'd like; 2 weeks, 2 months, 2 years, 2 decades. Completely up to you. Just make sure to keep a watchful eye on your airlocks (if you're using them). You definitely don't want them drying up

wiriwiri said:
  Does it have to be refrigerated  if it is allowed  to go longer...or will a cool place suffice? 
No, refrigeration (cooler temps, in general) will actually slow the process down. Anywhere from 70-85*ish is optimal. In the wintertime, when my house is a little cooler, I actually put my fermenting jars on a seedling heat mat in the cabinet above my range/microwave to keep them warmer

wiriwiri said:
I have some carambola /starfruit and tamarind pulp...can I add these,in different bottles  when I start the ferm process? 
Absolutely. I'd say that 95% of mine start off with every single ingredient, right from Day 1. Doesn't mean you have to; it's just my preference. My view is that you won't have to worry about the pH rising, by adding more "fresh" ingredients at processing time, post ferment

Looking forward to seeing what you come up with! :cheers:

So how do you decide whether or not to ferment?
I see a lot of recipes that go straight from harvest to the blender, then makes the sauce and bottle.  With no ferment.

Those recipes are good for those who want their sauce now. Nothing wrong with that and googling brings up mostly those kinds of recipes.
Fermented sauces bottled right can be stored a long time.  I prefer fermenting as it adds a bit of cachet to the sauce  and of course changes the taste, but I also like the sciency part of it.  I've made them both but never had them side by side to compare tastes to tell you what the difference is.  
I used to have a custom B&W photo lab where I made a lot of my own emulsions, developers etc and worked with historical formulas.  I guess this is my new way of tinkering. :)

Thanks Mike for answering my queries r/t ferm process...like to experiment with the tropical fruits that have some acid & sweetness
at the same time...since they are plentiful now..
Just got some water-less air locks so no worries..Been away for a lil while.Will post as I do my TING. ;) 

Back