• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

How many oz do you make for new recipe experiments

I wanted to know how many ounces or woozies worth is good for testing out a recipe. I know it is easier to use a small amount of food/liquids for ease of preperation and cost and grocery shopping, so that could be 16 ounce I am guessing. But does this lead to correct taste if you 2x or 5x or 50x the recipe, or should I do more like 30, 60, 100 ounce to start with so that the recipe will duplicate at a mUch higher bottle run without any taste change? What does everyone do when working on a new recipe?? I use a grAm scale

3L is about 3 quarts.

First try at something, I go about 2 cups to see if it is even remotely what I am looking for. Sometime s it is so bad the whole thing gets binned.

When it is getting dialed in I try to batch it at about 2L/2qt/1/2 gallon. That's enough to pass a few around for initial feedback locally.

First initial production runs are usually about 2 gallons, then batch up to 10 gallons.

It seems that when scaling up, the salt needs to be scaled back. A lot of processors comment about that. Also thickening takes much longer.

Good luck, have fun, hope this helps.

Stuff im kinda sure i will like 1-2 quarts
Stuff im really cautious about...1 quart or less.

This did bite me in the ass though. A yellow sauce i made turned out to be really popular with friends and my ghost sauce ended up being excellent. The ghost isnt really a problem other than making it is a bit uncomfortable. I only made enough for a couple woozies. Now i need to suffer through making another batch.

My fridge space is bit limited. 1 and 2 quart jars are convenient for short term aging before it goes into woozies.

I'm about to do my first test/experimental ferment since I first started fermenting about a year ago.  Thai chilies are about $1.65 a kilo, I'll be using 500 gms of chilies per test batch.

Back