• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

chinense Tried to make ghost chips

So I went to make some chips and didnt account for the proper time, I figured 400 degrees at 25 minutes would be good. Nope, burned them, made ghost pepper infused honey crisps and gassed me and my wife. Breathing in ghost pepper fumes not fun, lesson learned

Ghostpepperevolution said:
So I went to make some chips and didnt account for the proper time, I figured 400 degrees at 25 minutes would be good. Nope, burned them, made ghost pepper infused honey crisps and gassed me and my wife. Breathing in ghost pepper fumes not fun, lesson learned
Thats actually pretty dangerous. I tried to cook ghost peppers like I would Thai, the bottom floor litterall would burn skin. Hope youre safe.

SpeakPolish said:
Thats actually pretty dangerous. I tried to cook ghost peppers like I would Thai, the bottom floor litterall would burn skin. Hope youre safe.

Oh I bet, had to cut off A/C and vent for a couple hours. Thankfully kids were sleeping with doors shut so it wouldnt get to them. Next time gonna do it outside

nice one Ghaleon, I might grow white ghost next year and I could name them White as a ghost chips

I got about a quart to dry and im not looking forward to it. If i keep the temp down to around 105F though its not bad. After getting gassed before using the lowest oven setting on other pods i wont even attempt it with ghosts.

Definitely going the dehydration route or maybe outside slow cook ☀️.

I had read about cooking them and release of eye watering capsaicin but figured it might be short lived like an onion. Wish I had an air fryer, might make it quick and simple and I could put it outside.

Anyone got any stories about hot pepper goof ups?

I posted this message in the "welcome new member" page, and inquired there whether anyone had experience with freeze-drying Ghost Peppers. As can be seen in that thread, I'm giving it a try. Any advice on how to handle the product? I vividly recall the first time I dehydrated jalapeño peppers overnight in my kitchen: When I walked in the next morning, the fumes brought me to my knees. Sometime later, while grinding a bunch of these outside on my deck, the wind changed and I was overwhelmed by the dust.

I'm not planning to take chances with these GPs, and really interested in learning how freeze-drying changes their physical characteristics!

JD4JC said:
I posted this message in the "welcome new member" page, and inquired there whether anyone had experience with freeze-drying Ghost Peppers. As can be seen in that thread, I'm giving it a try. Any advice on how to handle the product? I vividly recall the first time I dehydrated jalapeño peppers overnight in my kitchen: When I walked in the next morning, the fumes brought me to my knees. Sometime later, while grinding a bunch of these outside on my deck, the wind changed and I was overwhelmed by the dust.

I'm not planning to take chances with these GPs, and really interested in learning how freeze-drying changes their physical characteristics!
Keep in mind the peppers will be much dryer than if they were dehydrated. Wear gloves and even a inexpensive dust mask for breathing. When you defrost your machine the pepper smell will remain, just wipe it out good with standard vinegar.

Here's the end product. The applesauce bonbons are quite firm and very tasty. I think that they will do well without vacuum storage (My grandkids would have them all eaten within a week if they had the chance). Three quarts of applesauce down to 7.8 Oz!

The Ghost Peppers are quite hard, and I'm thinking that they'll powder very nicely in a blender. I'm looking for ideas on what to do with the powder. Is there some kind of neutral medium I can use to make a paste? Oil? I've mixed ground fresh GPs with salt, and that works pretty well, but sometimes I'd like to have the hot without the salt!

FD Applesauce + Ghost Peppers.JPG

skullbiker said:
Keep in mind the peppers will be much dryer than if they were dehydrated. Wear gloves and even a inexpensive dust mask for breathing. When you defrost your machine the pepper smell will remain, just wipe it out good with standard vinegar.

Good advice--I intend to do just that!

JD4JC said:

Maybe you can get your hands on a Hazmat suit? :P

skullbiker said:

There's very little odor inside the defrosted vacuum chamber. I'm thinking that most of the oil is still in the dried peppers, which likely will lead to a superior product than could be produced in a heat-only dehydrator.

JD4JC said:

There's very little odor inside the defrosted vacuum chamber. I'm thinking that most of the oil is still in the dried peppers, which likely will lead to a superior product than could be produced in a heat-only dehydrator.
Probably because you had just a small amount in it. I just finished a load of five full trays, believe me, there was pepper odor. It is definitely superior to a dehydrator because literally all moisture is removed. Assuming you run a long enough dry cycle.

Five full trays. Wow! I only ran about 1/4 of one tray. I guess we have a lot to learn about growing these babies, as the largest one we harvested was less than one inch!

I'd love to know what you do with your dried Ghosts!

[Edit] And I did run a long drying cycle as I also simultaneously processed four 1" thick frozen New York Strips that had been cooked sous vide and were full of moisture!

The ghost pepper processing went well. I freeze-dried them extensively, and they were very easy to powder in our Ninja processor. I did the deed outside on the deck with a moderate wind blowing away from the processing activity. I was very careful, but did not use any protective gear. I did get just a teeny whiff and ZOWIE!!

I have the powder in a vacuum sealed canning jar, and a small amount in a salt shaker on our dining table. Same with freeze dried and powdered jalapeño and habanero peppers. The powders don't show any sign of caking or clumping, even with no additives, and it's fun to have a variety of "zap on tap" on the table. A pinch of the ghost pepper powder in a pint of cottage cheese makes a very tasty product!

JD4JC said:
The ghost pepper processing went well. I freeze-dried them extensively, and they were very easy to powder in our Ninja processor. I did the deed outside on the deck with a moderate wind blowing away from the processing activity. I was very careful, but did not use any protective gear. I did get just a teeny whiff and ZOWIE!!

I have the powder in a vacuum sealed canning jar, and a small amount in a salt shaker on our dining table. Same with freeze dried and powdered jalapeño and habanero peppers. The powders don't show any sign of caking or clumping, even with no additives, and it's fun to have a variety of "zap on tap" on the table. A pinch of the ghost pepper powder in a pint of cottage cheese makes a very tasty product!
Sounds like everything is going well there. And you are seeing that freeze drying is where it’s at. Now, if you really want to make that pint of cottage cheese a tasty product, along with the pepper powder add in a half packet of your favorite flavor instant jello and about 3 tablespoons of your favorite sweetener, mix it all up and enjoy!

Thanks for the tip! The only downside to freeze drying has been the need to change the oil in the HarvestRight vacuum pump with each batch: I usually spill some somewhere that's hard to clean up, and am needing to use nitrite gloves to keep my hands clean!

So, I sprung for their new oil-less scroller pump that's supposed to arrive next week. If it proves to be what I hope, I'll be running the FD machine practically nonstop. We did some split pea with ham soup that naturally powdered up and reconstitutes back to its original consistency and taste. Pretty slick!

I will have to watch and see how that pump works out for you after running it a while. Having been a truck/auto mechanic my whole life I will probably run my original pump until it flys apart!
Pretty much anything pasta works extremely well also.

Back