• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Looking sick

Hi I currently have a problem with one of my chilli bushes, it started off very well and has produced a lot of nice fruits! But recently the plant isnt looking as well as it once was. It has stopped flowering and the leaves are starting to loose colour, it still has some chillies ripening and some small buds. The leaves were a luscious green but are more like a pale green now and some are yellowing! I dont think Ive overwatered it as I sometimes lift the plant out of the pot carefully and you can see the soil is moist towards the last 1/4 to 1/3rd of the bottom. Im sorry if this seems like a easy question to most but Im still just starting out so have a lot to learn! Many thanks Leo.

It could be a multitude of issues . What are you fertilizing them with? What's in your soil/potting mix?

Some pictures wouldn't hurt either. Pale/yellowing leaves typically means a nitrogen deficiency but could also be an issue with pH

Thawing the frozen north one chili at a time...

Agreed with ^.

many reasons can produce your plants symptoms and in order to even come close to a diagnosis, you need to provide more detail of your grow from the most basic of components to the most unique.

Hi sorry for the lack of info, the plant is a "Basket of Fire" the potting mix is just general compost as its all i had at the time of potting. I've been feeding it with tomorite following the directions as they were out of liquid seaweed at my local store.

fullsizeoutput_18ff.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1900.jpeg
fullsizeoutput_1902.jpeg

thanks, ill add some photos soon!

CanadaChili said:
It could be a multitude of issues . What are you fertilizing them with? What's in your soil/potting mix?

Some pictures wouldn't hurt either. Pale/yellowing leaves typically means a nitrogen deficiency but could also be an issue with pH

Looks like too much of something you fed. I would do a thorough flush and reduce the build up in the soil. Where is Wiltshire?  Just to understand where in the season you are.
Do know what your water and soil pH is?

Seconded on the fertilizer burn idea. You said you're using only compost? Definitely need some inert substrate in your mix, think coco coir, perlite, peat moss..etc

My guess is that your "bottom 1/4" of the mix is less moist and more waterlogged along with the roots. Straight compost will compact and outright refuse to drain. Of course you can grow in it, but too much water retention isn't the best thing.

CAPCOM said:
Looks like too much of something you fed. I would do a thorough flush and reduce the build up in the soil. Where is Wiltshire?  Just to understand where in the season you are.
Wiltshire is in the south west of England, the temperature is above normal for where we live. Our local water ph 7.2, not sure what the soil ph is!

CanadaChili said:
Seconded on the fertilizer burn idea. You said you're using only compost? Definitely need some inert substrate in your mix, think coco coir, perlite, peat moss..etc

So anything that Helps aerate and improves drainage? My local garden centre doesnt have perlite but has bags of small 2-3 mm stones that it says improves drainage would that work? Thanks Leo

Stones, sand, broke shell etc. 

Your peppers really will do better with a pH of 6.1 - 6.6 with 6.2-6.4 being the ideal. And what I mean by ideal ph Is that of the water and nutrients you feed as well as the media you grow in. Does no good to feed water pH balanced to 6.2 when you media is 7.9.

see if the garden center has potting soil specifically made for containers. compost can be added but only 10-15%. have plenty of drain holes in the bottom of containers.

CAPCOM said:

Hi, thanks again for the advice I'm thinking of changing what its currently planted in to a different substrate, so would i still have to flush it out or would just getting as much of the compost off the root ball and planting it into a different potting mix be better?

Thanks Leo.

Leo_Rossini27 said:

Hi, thanks again for the advice I'm thinking of changing what its currently planted in to a different substrate, so would i still have to flush it out or would just getting as much of the compost off the root ball and planting it into a different potting mix be better?

Thanks Leo.
yes just remove most compost and re-pot with better drainage potting soil and water it lightly.

Back