• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Pruning leaves

So, new to growing this season. I unfortunately didn't space my plants as far apart as I could have, so there is that. I have currently in a 4'x 8' bed, from right to left, 2 jals(1 front 1 back), 2 serrano (Same, etc), 4 habs, 4 red carribean habs, ghost pepper (1) and carolina reaper (1). I read SOMEWHERE when my habs didn't seem to be doing anything but sitting there that you should remove leaves and stems a certain amount from the base where the compost touches stem and ALSO you could remove leaves pointing inward/leaves where it bunched up, stopping airflow. I did this once and the next day the plants seemed to grow inches!

My question is, do you regularly prune out leaves where it bulks up/hides peppers? My plants all seem very "bushy" to me, especially the habs and red habs, but I also don't wanna mess with the way it should be done.

Been dying for an answer to this question since I started growing, but didn't belong here yet and no one asked this question on the internet anywhere, lol.

Thanks! 

I don't prune for the reason you stated. Usually it is to provide light to lower levels or remove old leaves allowing for branching to occur unimpeded.
I have a chocolate madd balls that is a leaf cluster f**k right now but will allow it to do its own thing. Next season I am going to do a lot of pruning to take more control of the grow and make the plants do what I want them to right fro the start.

Oh yeah, that was another reason I read (and was doing it for). I would prune top leaves in a way as to allow light to lower ones, too. But you think it isn't necessary at this point? I planted late in the season so they are probably only 10" tall right now. They are producing peppers though, but definitely was another reason  I had been doing it.

NoobGrower said:
Oh yeah, that was another reason I read (and was doing it for). I would prune top leaves in a way as to allow light to lower ones, too. But you think it isn't necessary at this point? I planted late in the season so they are probably only 10" tall right now. They are producing peppers though, but definitely was another reason  I had been doing it.

Pics go far in obtaining the best advice. but based on what you are describing, I would not prune on that size plant late season. Much of your pruning is done in the growth stages to get a desired plant structure.

CAPCOM said:

Pics go far in obtaining the best advice. but based on what you are describing, I would not prune on that size plant late season. Much of your pruning is done in the growth stages to get a desired plant structure.

Yes, I might post pics in a little while, as I did realize that would help a lot. For now, until I post them, I will leave them alone :) 

Some plants just take longer to produce, have patience.

I never purposely prune or trim any of my plants.

I have had good results when the plants are close together. I plant them 16"-18" apart.

I have 34 plants in a 4 foot x 32 foot raised bed, two rows.

You can see pics on my blog.

alkhall said:
Some plants just take longer to produce, have patience.

I never purposely prune or trim any of my plants.

I have had good results when the plants are close together. I plant them 16"-18" apart.

I have 34 plants in a 4 foot x 32 foot raised bed, two rows.

You can see pics on my blog.

I dont know how to find your blog, lol. I will post pics today, for reference, Good to know.

Ok,
A) Those looks amazing.
2) I think I planted mine closer together, but doesn't seem like it is going to wind up being a problem. I will post pics today after I get back from the garden. Also, I planted starters on July 15th, according to metadata on a photo.
iii) I can definitely use any advice. That is incredible growth.

Here are those pics I have been mentioning. You'll notice my problematic Ghost Pepper from http://thehotpepper.com/topic/69518-ghost-pepper-plant-problems/#entry1579072

IMG_2383.jpg
IMG_2385.jpg
IMG_2386.jpg
IMG_2388.jpg
IMG_2389.jpg

IMG_2392.jpg
IMG_2393.jpg

Your plants have been in the ground for about a month and a half.

You can see what mine looked like after approximately the same amount of time in the ground. http://thehotpepper.com/topic/66890-alkhall-2018/page-4#entry1564018. Not a lot of size difference.

I agree with karoo, they look good. I would not do anything but wait. You are in zone 10, and the Old Farmers Almanac says you should not expect frost until late December. You have several months left of growing left, whereas I only have until late October.

You should be picking pods while I am shoveling snow.

karoo said:
Those plant are looking great !
I don't see any reason to bother them.

Thanks!! These are why I ask the tough questions, lol

alkhall said:
Your plants have been in the ground for about a month and a half.

You can see what mine looked like after approximately the same amount of time in the ground. http://thehotpepper.com/topic/66890-alkhall-2018/page-4#entry1564018. Not a lot of size difference.

I agree with karoo, they look good. I would not do anything but wait. You are in zone 10, and the Old Farmers Almanac says you should not expect frost until late December. You have several months left of growing left, whereas I only have until late October.

You should be picking pods while I am shoveling snow.

lol, thanks as well! I didn't read your glog thoroughly, did you fertilize or anything special? Or how often watering? These are questions I have tried to look up on the regular and I have found people's suggestions all over the place. Thanks for looking.

NoobGrower said:

Thanks!! These are why I ask the tough questions, lol

lol, thanks as well! I didn't read your glog thoroughly, did you fertilize or anything special? Or how often watering? These are questions I have tried to look up on the regular and I have found people's suggestions all over the place. Thanks for looking.

Watering and feeding are all questions that if answered do not necessarily apply to your grow and is disadvantageous to apply to your grow blindly. You need to develop your own schedule based on what you plants need for your growing conditions.

CAPCOM said:

Watering and feeding are all questions that if answered do not necessarily apply to your grow and is disadvantageous to apply to your grow blindly. You need to develop your own schedule based on what you plants need for your growing conditions.

Yeah, and I have been trying to figure that out. This is literally the first 2 months I have ever grown something I can eat before in my life!! lol.

I've fed them a few times, nothing regular.

I've done watering 1 time a week and I have done watering daily.

I'm also still trying to figure out the best way to water them with a nozzle and hose...

So much to learn... lol

NoobGrower said:

Yeah, and I have been trying to figure that out. This is literally the first 2 months I have ever grown something I can eat before in my life!! lol.

I've fed them a few times, nothing regular.

I've done watering 1 time a week and I have done watering daily.

I'm also still trying to figure out the best way to water them with a nozzle and hose...

So much to learn... lol

I hear and understand your plight better than you. It is difficult to ask about or even decide how you want to grow without knowing all the choices.

1st thing you should address is organic or chemical grow. from there many of your questions are already answered. For instance, you don't water from the hose directly. The chlorine and chlorimines will kill off your microbes and fungi.

CAPCOM said:

I hear and understand your plight better than you. It is difficult to ask about or even decide how you want to grow without knowing all the choices.

1st thing you should address is organic or chemical grow. from there many of your questions are already answered. For instance, you don't water from the hose directly. The chlorine and chlorimines will kill off your microbes and fungi.

Well, I assumed I would go organic, but I also don't care that much?

Ok, noted. So, if not there, something like bottled water? Or....? (this no water from hose has thrown me off completely!!)

NoobGrower said:

Well, I assumed I would go organic, but I also don't care that much?

Ok, noted. So, if not there, something like bottled water? Or....? (this no water from hose has thrown me off completely!!)

Exactly and we are just touching on the water. I used water from the hose but store it in a stock tank til the chemicals are evacuated into the air.

Then comes your soil make up, composting , nutrients, soil food web, water quality, pH of the soils and food and water and the list goes on. Not trying to dissuade you in any way. Just making the point that it can be much ore complicated than just throwing seeds in dirt. And sometimes if you are lucky to grow in the already perfect environment, it is exactly like that.

if you are 2 mos into your 1st grow, learn from everything you do and don't do. read the other threads that apply and ask questions. lots of questions. But do your homework as well so when you ask the questions you know haw to ask them. for example

What do I feed my pepper plants?

vs

I have heard that feeding miracle grow creates a build up of salts over time in my media and that using something like NFTG or other organic nutrients eliminates that problem. Can someone clarify?

or , my plants are looking raggedy and someone said to spray them with Epsom salts, How much should I use? (this is a trick comment)

CAPCOM said:
My plants are looking raggedy and someone said to spray them with Epsom salts, How much should I use? (this is a trick comment)

Lol, all points taken. I have a lot of knowledge in my head from reading...a lot. But also, some of it I am unsure if it pertains to me in my location or not. 

Why is that a trick question, btw?

And yeah, I realized my open-ended statement/question wasn't the best. I am trying not to be leading with my questions either. I will look into (on the web) watering tricks. I have access to reverse-osmosis water here, but thinking that would take forever to water 40 plants (things other than peppers, too).

NoobGrower said:

Lol, all points taken. I have a lot of knowledge in my head from reading...a lot. But also, some of it I am unsure if it pertains to me in my location or not. 

Why is that a trick question, btw?

And yeah, I realized my open-ended statement/question wasn't the best. I am trying not to be leading with my questions either. I will look into (on the web) watering tricks. I have access to reverse-osmosis water here, but thinking that would take forever to water 40 plants (things other than peppers, too).

It is a trick question because it is common for someone to tell you to spray your plants with Epsom salts prior to understanding what your plants really need. as if Epsom salts are a cure all for everything. the moral is never add anything before you know why you are adding it and have determined that it is the best approach to execute.

Back