•  

Photo

devils tongue v fatalii

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

Poll: what is your preferred pepper ? post your reasons why (38 member(s) have cast votes)

what is your preferred pepper ? post your reasons why

1. devils tongue (14 votes [36.84%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 36.84%

2. fatalii (24 votes [63.16%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 63.16%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 QuadShotz

QuadShotz

On Fire!

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,774 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 04:46 AM

Hey Mick, nice "Liquor" ;)

Never had a DT, but Fatalli still one of the faves so said that.

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#22 PrairieChilihead

PrairieChilihead

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:00 AM

On the "favorite superhot" poll, fatali was a run away favorite.

I chose it for this year.

Is a fatalii a superhot? What is its scoville rating?
Come visit my YouTube Channel:
http://www.youtube.com/user/SAK59

Thanks!

#23 bjs2006

bjs2006

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 12:45 AM

My Fatalii peppers were bigger than my Devils Tongue but the Devils Tongue were hotter. A bit more productive too.

I found this info on Devils Tongue's Scoville rating. http://www.cals.ncsu...s/sanders1.html

Devils Tongue had a low of 133,201 Scovilles and a high of 279,647 Scovilles in this study.

#24 chilliman64

chilliman64

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 12 November 2008 - 04:47 AM

Do you have a few seeds you could send me?

mate I'll have a look for you but I don't think I have any left, if I do they're yours. if I have none left I'll send you some seed from my pods in the next 3 mths or so.
I'm a beer-drinkin', motorbike-ridin', poker-playin', head-shavin', hard-workin', damn good-lookin', hab-munchin', non-smokin', pod-growin', sauce-makin', jerky-dryin', joke-tellin', fast-talkin', street-fightin', dirty-dancin', pet-lovin', football-watchin', devoted husband & patriotic Aussie and I sure as hell don't de-placenta (aka de-seed)!

#25 TheJollyRancher

TheJollyRancher

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 04:12 PM

I love both....
Fatalii because they are slightly larger....but both are super hot and aromatic!

Just made some Devil's Tongue Steak Rub last night....man it turned out fantastic!

#26 chilliman64

chilliman64

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2,139 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 08:25 PM

mate I'll have a look for you but I don't think I have any left, if I do they're yours. if I have none left I'll send you some seed from my pods in the next 3 mths or so.

pm sent
I'm a beer-drinkin', motorbike-ridin', poker-playin', head-shavin', hard-workin', damn good-lookin', hab-munchin', non-smokin', pod-growin', sauce-makin', jerky-dryin', joke-tellin', fast-talkin', street-fightin', dirty-dancin', pet-lovin', football-watchin', devoted husband & patriotic Aussie and I sure as hell don't de-placenta (aka de-seed)!

#27 tony05

tony05

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 634 posts

Posted 15 November 2008 - 11:49 PM

I didnt vote because i havnt tried either rew yet...... YET!

I did love the bottle of Still's Jerk sauce..... the origional batch.

Ive planted some of those Devils Tongue seeds mate and have 2 going strong and 2 more sprouting for my brother if he wants them?

They are only little but should have peppers on them around Xmas time.

thanks again for those seeds.
Pip is a Turd

#28 millworkman

millworkman

On Fire!

• Moderators
  • 7,531 posts

Posted 16 November 2008 - 12:39 AM

never tried either but I have th fatallli seeds in my possesion now so I voted them.

#29 talas

talas

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 4,170 posts

Posted 17 November 2008 - 02:16 AM

never tried either but I have th fatallli seeds in my possesion now so I voted them.

Honestly buddy fantastic pepper i prefer for taste over the Jolokia/Naga family and Devils tongue is well worth growing to,There a number of Fatalii`s Yellow, Orange(more like a Darker yellow),Red,Chocolate(Crossed With a Peru Chinese)But a Proper Choc Fatalii is in development,Yellow and Red Devils tongue :(
May the Naga Sauce..Be In You

#30 rpossum

rpossum

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 01:05 PM

For me it's all about Devil's tongue because of the flavor. There's just something really special and different about the devil's tongue flavor for my taste. I like Fatalii but I find them to be a little bit all about the heat, whereas Devil's tongue just develops such a nice cruisy burn but brings along that distinctive flavor that I just love. After years of growing lots of different varieties, these days I only grow Devil's Tongue because I keeps finding that I didn't ever want to eat anything else.
Homemade Devil's Tongue mac n cheese is one of life's greatest pleasures. My wife sometimes isn't thrilled because I've spiced up the peanut butter or hummus immediately when comes home from the store. 😁

#31 Peter_L

Peter_L

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 165 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 03:09 PM

Welcome to THP!  :welcome:

#32 The_NorthEast_ChileMan

The_NorthEast_ChileMan

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,314 posts
  • aka:NECM

Posted 01 December 2017 - 06:50 PM

aouY7Ry.gif

Homemade Devil's Tongue mac n cheese is one of life's greatest pleasures.  😁

Recipe?

Edited by The_NorthEast_ChileMan, 01 December 2017 - 06:53 PM.

"Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." - Albert Einstein 

#33 The Hot Pepper

The Hot Pepper

On Fire!

• Administrators
  • 47,108 posts
  • aka:Pookie, Satan Claus
  • (x3)

Posted 01 December 2017 - 07:29 PM

:welcome:

#34 rpossum

rpossum

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 December 2017 - 09:25 PM

Absolutely!

Devil's Tongue Mac n Cheese

I don't really have measurements... just do it by feel...

It's all about the sauce. You are just making a bechamel sauce, which is easy to look up online for specifics, but here's the basics

Start by melting around 3/4 stick of good salted butter in a saucepan. (I use a 3 quart saucepan)

While you're doing this, heat your whole milk in another saucepan. I probably end up using 1 1/2 litres.

now start sprinkling all purpose flour into the butter and stirring it around. You basically add enough flour to make it a pretty thick paste... almost crumbly... and stir constantly so you don' burn any one part of it. You just want to cook it for a few minutes until it cooks out some of the "flouriness"and the color darkens slightly... but not brown.

It will be bubbling. 

Now the milk. 

If you have a Vitamix, this is really easy. Just add some milk and stir until it starts getting saucy. Once you get that going a bit, you can drop it in the Vitamix and whip it up smooth, then put it back in the pan to cook more.

If you don't have a Vitamix, you have to add the milk a little at a time and stir the crap out of it so you don't end up with lumps. Patience and elbow grease are the key. Once you get it to a certain point, it gets easier and you can add more milk without getting lumps.

Now, keep heating it... just to a boil and then reduce the temp a bit so you can keep cooking but not burning it.

I generally make it thinner than you'd think... because after you add all the cheese and the pasta etc, it really thickens up.

So, once that's cooked for a while, I add a pinch of yellow curry. Sounds crazy, I know, but it compliments the flavors really well. Just a pinch.

For Cheese, I use a big loaf of Tillamook Medium cheddar and also gruyere.

I probably end up using 1/2 of the loaf of cheddar total and just a small chunk of gruyere.

Grate those up and stir them into the sauce a little at a time so it stays smooth.

Taste the sauce. You can add salt is it's not flavorful enough, but the cheese usually takes care of it.

Now for the heat.

Now, since I have a vitamix, I put come of the sauce back in the Vitamix and toss a large Devil's Tongue in. Blend it smooth.

Otherwise, just chop one up fine and toss it in. I almost always make 2 batches... one medium heat and another really hot one.

The final trick is to get your proportions right with the pasta. I've been using spirals lately, but jumbo elbows are great too.

Undercook the pasta. If it says 10-12 minutes, only cook it 4 minutes.

Measure out your noodles AFTER COOKING.

I personally like a saucy mac-n-cheese. So I do:

1 cup pasta to 2 cups sauce.

It will look totally wrong... you'll think you are making cheese soup when you look at it before cooking, but after 25 minutes in the oven at 350 and then a broil to crisp up the top, it'll all set up.

https://photos.app.g...qElI3G7JBYhBGb2

https://photos.app.g...LwuvTM6WUmDWFg1

I make the sauce in big batches and then cook up small portions here and there... except of course Thanksgiving, when I made a huge one with 3 quarts of sauce!

Enjoy!

Russell

#35 Bicycle808

Bicycle808

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,100 posts
  • aka:Streetwise with a "Z"

Posted 01 December 2017 - 10:24 PM

I'd say grow both if you can but, if you can't grow both, grow Fataliis.

Edited by Bicycle808, 01 December 2017 - 10:24 PM.

You are entering the buttocks with the spicy hand of Chinese pepper? And pleasure from this low pepper? I am not sure but the scorpion pepper musk when raw, is the sexual experience. This is granted, and evident in the taste, and the woman jealous. 

#36 Jase4224

Jase4224

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 02 December 2017 - 05:53 PM

Anyone else notice how many people replied to this thread (back in 2008) who said they only tried one of these chillies yet still voted? Why vote if you havent tried both??? A couple of people responded just to say they hadnt tried either of them which seems pointless to me.. lol

rpossum that recipe looks awesome!! After reading that description of how to make a white sauce I can remember the process so easy now

#37 Chilidude

Chilidude

Smokin' Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,938 posts
  • aka:Mr. chili, Mr. tester man.

Posted 04 July 2018 - 03:36 AM

Interesting poll. Those that have grown both the Devil's tongue and the yellow fatalii in the same time, does both have the same pod ripening time?

Edited by Chilidude, 04 July 2018 - 03:36 AM.

#38 wrinklenuts

wrinklenuts

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 11:54 AM

To me they are the same. I grew both last year side by side and couldnt tell the difference.

#39 Ghaleon

Ghaleon

Hot

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 668 posts

Posted 04 July 2018 - 01:55 PM

To me they are the same. I grew both last year side by side and couldnt tell the difference.

Now I'm less bothered by having missed my chance to get a box last year.

#40 rlslmshdy

rlslmshdy

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 05 July 2018 - 04:33 PM

Devils tongue is my favorite pepper ive grown. Ive only grown red fatalis. They were too floral for me. Just thinking how much can we as growers or conditions effect floral flavor of our pods?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests