• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Labels for your jars/bottles etc...

I have my own label designs but struggling to find a way to print them and cut them to how I want it. I'd like to have it looking professional, cut in different shapes (round, square, round corners, odd shapes) and printed on quality media, not your bog standard A4 printing paper. If I go to professionals, they want me to print far too many labels than I'll ever need.

If this was discussed (it must have been) before, please point to relevant topic. 

Thanks.

You can use Avery-types of self adhesive labels and a template. They come in all sorts of shapes and sizes. Templates are a pain to program but if you look around, you can find all sorts of templates. I use small labels, (30 to the sheet) for some products. Any old laser will work for simple text. For fancy labels you'd want a color laser, I think.

Thanks guys. I've ordered some self-adhesive sticker labels, now I need a printer. I *think* it'll be better to go with inkjet as is cheaper to run. I can waterproof my labels maybe with vinyl spray or something?  

You can use a craft spray like what is used for chalk or charcoal drawings.

Also, you can do your designs yourself using a template, add all the color you want, kick it to a flash drive and take it to your local print shop.

We have a small business print shop in town. I buy a packet or box of 100 sheets of labels from the shop. I can take my labels on the flash drive and they will print one page, 30 pages,,,whatever I need because I bought the label stock there.

What's great about this option is that I can get great looking short run labels for limited edition or test batches.

They have the high quality color printer, using the AVery stock and templates...Easy peasy!

When the sauce is finalized and ready to put into production, professionally produced labels is a must. But that is down the road.

Avery isn't the only brand. Check it out, have fun!

salsalady said:
You can use a craft spray like what is used for chalk or charcoal drawings.

Also, you can do your designs yourself using a template, add all the color you want, kick it to a flash drive and take it to your local print shop.

We have a small business print shop in town. I buy a packet or box of 100 sheets of labels from the shop. I can take my labels on the flash drive and they will print one page, 30 pages,,,whatever I need because I bought the label stock there.

What's great about this option is that I can get great looking short run labels for limited edition or test batches.

They have the high quality color printer, using the AVery stock and templates...Easy peasy!

When the sauce is finalized and ready to put into production, professionally produced labels is a must. But that is down the road.

Avery isn't the only brand. Check it out, have fun!

Thank you salsalady, much appreciated. Charcoal drawing spray is a neat idea, seems like a way to go, at least for now. I still want to buy my own printer, I'll need it for other things, not just for labels. I work from home sometimes and my old printer has died some time ago and needs replacing anyway.

jelly.jpg

apple jelly label.png

This is my spicy apple jelly experiment and it's label. What do you guys think? 

This is not for sale, just as a gift to friends and family. :)

Very nice! Feels homie and comforting.

"With Select Super-hot Chillies"

Select is more crafty (denotes hand selected), and implies mixed...
Not sure you need the word "end" in the expiry date. Would be tidier to put best before and just add a day. ;)
The word cold bugs me a little. How about "deli" meats.

For friends and family it is perfect. I like it a lot.

Nice looking! Good colors will look good with the jelly. For friends and family, I wouldn't put an expiry date on it.

If it ever does go legit for sale, it will need other thinks like ingredients and contact info. Even for f&f, I'd put ingredients on and leave off expiry.
Have fun!
SL

Yeah just take it off, especially since it would be printed on not stamped on that would look weird. SL caught that, good one.

If you really want it on there print it on a little white sticker on bottom.

Not sure about 'Charcuterie' but I'm not sold on 'Deli meats' either. 'Cold meats' term is pretty normal around here in UK, but I get what you saying. :)

That really helped, thank you! :)

This may just a be a stylistic note - I guess I can't find a reference for what I'm thinking of right now, but consider making the word 'with' in 'with select chillies', slightly smaller. I think it seems to add a little something. I'm picturing a serif font for some reason, idk italian food like tomato sauce or something. Not sure what I'm thinking. Great label, I like it a lot.

-brokkr- said:
This may just a be a stylistic note - I guess I can't find a reference for what I'm thinking of right now, but consider making the word 'with' in 'with select chillies', slightly smaller. I think it seems to add a little something. I'm picturing a serif font for some reason, idk italian food like tomato sauce or something. Not sure what I'm thinking. Great label, I like it a lot.

I hear you and agree. Also it could work with the word 'and' instead of 'with'. I'll play with it for another day or two before printing them anyway. I still don't have the printer, hopefully tomorrow and labels will be with me on Tuesday the earliest. Haven't ordered charcoal drawing fixer spray yet... So much to do...

I'm cooking another batch of apple jelly and making some apple butter as well right now. Loads of apples in my garden this year. Happy days. :)

I like as-is. And WITH not AND.

Personally I like consistency, like this "WITH" on the label like yours.

trader_joes_harissa.jpg

Back