• Start a personal food blog, or, start a community food thread for all.

Aglio, Olio, Peperoncino

Thought I would start a thread for every time I enjoy a nice plate of Aglio, Olio, & Peperoncino pasta.
A classic staple dish in Italian cooking, the basic preparation is pretty simple - fry up some garlic and chili in extra virgin olive oil, meanwhile boil your pasta of choice to "al dente," drain, and finish cooking the pasta in your garlicky spicy oily concoction. Buon appetito! 

Late night 8-9 September. 
Made using Hot Mama Rosso peppers, picked about 2 mins before preparing the soffritto… 

4rrg3t.jpg

2d7wsk1.jpg

Weds 26 Sept. Dinner. 
Made up some Aglio, Olio using a freshly picked Sepia Serpent. Can't say I would recommend using something that hot for this dish since the heat totally overpowers the rest of the flavors, but oh well. 

Here's a little step-by-step… 

rtn63a.jpg

2nsxlz5.jpg

The exact pepper used. ^

1dmx4.jpg

^ All chopped up on the cutting board. The yellowy stuff on the inside of the pepper was pure oil!  :!:

9znex2.jpg

^ Frying the garlic and pepper. Usually I heat the oil for a minute or so, then add the garlic first, and as it starts to brown I add the pepper. 

1r21y9.jpg

^ After frying the garlic and pepper together for a few minutes, add some chopped parsley (but don't go overboard). 

96vk2d.jpg

^ Now, once the pasta is a bit more than halfway cooked and has released starches into the water, scoop out a ladle or two of the cooking water, and add it to your soffritto. This helps incorporate salt and starch into the oil mixture. Keep moving the pan at this point to mix the water with the oil. The water will cook off, leaving behind a more rich sauce.

2qa225k.jpg

^ When your pasta is "ben al dente" drain it, and add to the pan to finish cooking in your oil concoction. And start tossing!

264qssp.jpg

^ After a few tosses...

6qik5f.jpg

^ After a few more tosses...

serlp5.jpg

^ Ready to eat  :party:

Thanks for sharing, I LOVE this kind of simple pasta.  I could eat it almost every day, but with the diabetes...yea... not so good for me.  Trying to go with more veggies and just a bit of pasta.  It doen't always work out that way~ I  sometimes cave to the pasta like you are posting. 

As a youngster, I used to cook some elbow macaroni , toss it with butter and eat it just like that.

I bet that one little chocolate chilli packed some heat! 

Dalia said:
Thought I would start a thread for every time I enjoy a nice plate of Aglio, Olio, & Peperoncino pasta.
A classic staple dish in Italian cooking, the basic preparation is pretty simple - fry up some garlic and chili in extra virgin olive oil, meanwhile boil your pasta of choice to "al dente," drain, and finish cooking the pasta in your garlicky spicy oily concoction. Buon appetito! 
this looks so good and easy to make. i`m going to try this soon.

salsalady said:
Thanks for sharing, I LOVE this kind of simple pasta.  I could eat it almost every day, but with the diabetes...yea... not so good for me.  Trying to go with more veggies and just a bit of pasta.  It doen't always work out that way~ I  sometimes cave to the pasta like you are posting. 

As a youngster, I used to cook some elbow macaroni , toss it with butter and eat it just like that.

I bet that one little chocolate chilli packed some heat! 

The more veggies the better! While this is a staple dish over here and I enjoy the heck out of it whenever I have it, I definitely try to limit my pasta/bread intake too. I just feel better when I'm eating less of that stuff. 
My mom used to make egg noodles tossed in butter when I was a kid - yum, total comfort food!

And you are right - it was a Sepia Serpent and put me thru the wringer!! :hot:

luvmesump3pp3rz said:
drank a few cervezas got a craving for something and threw this together. it turned out great!

edit... i forgot the parsley.  :mope:

Looks great!!!! What kind of pepper did you use? 

(The parsley isn't mandatory, more of the souped up version  :P )

Late night meal last night. Classic AOP with a twist - one Cantabrian anchovy added into the olive oil after the garlic and peppers, and before adding the parsley and water. Once plated, some bread crumbs generously sprinkled all over, topped with two more anchovies. 

thumbnail.jpg

Americans aren't big on anchovies, I know, but when added into the oil as you're frying the other ingredients, it breaks down in the oil and adds depth of flavor (that elusive "umami") to the final product. If you don't top with the extras like I did, you wouldn't even know it was in there. 

IMG_0659.jpg

Wine pairing: Pouilly-Fumè de Ladoucette. A lovely white wine from the Loire Valley in France. 100% sauvignon

Also - I can't seem to get the dang photos to upload not sideways.

You are correct about anchovies, at least in my opinion. I use them IN dishes, but can't abide looking at the hairy, oily, bony things. But, give me a caesar salad, puttanesca, or your classic AOP, and I am THERE.

As for your photos, before you upload them, simply make a small edit, such as reducing one margin, and upload that edited version. It should upload in the proper orientation.

i did a variation for dinner tonight. my wife bought hot italian sausage patties to make sausage burgers but i decided instead of a burger i`d eat it with spaghetti and peppers. not pictured but added was a garlic clove. i used one jalapeno and one shishito both picked just before making it. broke up the sausage patty into small pieces and browned it in a cast iron skillet. when sausage was done removed it from the skillet and put the peppers in the sausage drippings then the minced garlic. when peppers were ready the spaghetti and sausage was added back to skillet and tossed. came out great. 

20190712_180657_resized.jpg

20190712_183001_resized.jpg

Back