• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Lemon drop fruit

Hi all,
I've been growing my first lemon drop/aji limon this year. The plant is doing well and producing tons of fruit with down starting to ripen.
The attached image shows some of the fruit with a brown colouring on the sun side. Will these eventually ripen yellow like the remainder?

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMG_20180909_150639.jpg
    IMG_20180909_150639.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 93
Those will turn yellow but retain the sunburn colour. It doesn't effect the taste and is only pigment to protect the pepper from further damage, similar to freckles on your skin.

`
I want to start this post by stating I'm not beating you up, I'm just not understanding what you're trying to convey and in other instances - off the mark.

Winegums said:
Those will turn yellow but retain the sunburn colour.
So how can they turn yellow but retain the "sunburn" color (See what I mean?)?

Winegums said:
It doesn't effect the taste and is only pigment to protect the pepper from further damage, similar to freckles on your skin.
On this one I believe you're off the mark. In reading through, Other Traits - Why do I have freckles?, people with fair skin, and usually red hair, have a gene that causes this, peppers do not. All peppers, especially those that eventually turn yellow, will form that purplish tinge from bright sunshine and turn to their mature color but have no "natural protection" preventing it from occurring.

`

The_NorthEast_ChileMan said:
`
I want to start this post by stating I'm not beating you up, I'm just not understanding what you're trying to convey and in other instances - off the mark.

So how can they turn yellow but retain the "sunburn" color (See what I mean?)?

On this one I believe you're off the mark. In reading through, Other Traits - Why do I have freckles?, people with fair skin, and usually red hair, have a gene that causes this, peppers do not. All peppers, especially those that eventually turn yellow, will form that purplish tinge from bright sunshine and turn to their mature color but have no "natural protection" preventing it from occurring.

`
Eh?

They still ripen just fine, they end up yellow with the purple/black staining, rather than green with the same stains. Taste is not effected at all.

You don't understand how freckles/tanning work to protect skin. When your skin is exposed to UV radiation the cells develop pigments that absorb and block the UV light. This is to protect the DNA inside the cell from further damage. It happens to your skin and it happens to the skin on peppers. It might not be the same pigment but it's still achieving the same result. 

mu3hjeih.jpg

Back