• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

fermenting Espelette ferment

As posted elsewhere it's Piment Espelette time at this end...

So with a nod to SmokenFire for his Newest Ferment - Easy and Fun! recipe, here's what I put together this afternoon using said peppers:

Ingredients:
  • 450 g Piment Espelette
  • 240 g Red Habaneros
  • 460 g Carrots
  • 430 g Onions
  • 170 g Garlic
  • 65 g Salt

Steps:
  • Sterlise jar
  • Stem / trim everything
  • Blend, a lot
  • Into jar and seal

Proof ;) - Day 0 photo:

sauce-ferment-espelette-01.jpg

Indeed it doesn't have an airlock on it, but past experience has been good with the rubber seal letting excess gas out.
(I'm waiting for glass/ceramic drills and airlocks to arrive, because that would be a better approach...)

This time I was thinking to follow SmokenFire's recipe pretty closely, so 4-6 weeks.

In the past I've often let my ferments run a long time, e.g., 3, 6, 9 months. (I think I still have a sealed jar or two kicking around from 2017(!)...) The main thing I've noticed with a long ferment is the taste becomes: 1. more mellow; 2. more interesting flavour wise. No real head-to-head comparisons done, just what I've observed on a one-off basis.

I'm trying to be a little more systematic...

For completeness, here is the result:

espelette-hot-sauce.jpg

Comments:
  • Bottled on 14 Oct 2018.
  • As mentioned in a different post the end pH was 3.4 - http://thehotpepper.com/topic/69741-favorite-fermentation-starter/
  • For next time I would drop the quantity of garlic and salt a bit. The garlic flavour is great, but of course if one wants something less garlic influenced then less would be better.
  • I think I need to invest in a food mill. The blender did OK, but straining it was a pain.

Back