• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

I can't help myself.....LOL

And, I suppose I don't really care.  Ha.  These NuMex Sauve Orange have been such a big hit, I decided to see if I could do a winter grow under the lights.  The first of 4 planted popped today.  If we head south this winter, I'll just pack them up and take them along!

winter NSO.jpg

Here they are, a month and a half later.....

This one is the largest so far of the four seeds I started, needs to be transplanted and has a couple of baby fruit on it already.

20181022_192042.jpg

In the center rear are a couple of Aleppos ready to pot on. And, on the right in the net pot in the red canister, is some basil I rooted from cuttings taken before the cold set in. As long as the lights were going to be running, I figured it wouldn't hurt to have fresh herbs growing, too.

20181022_191838.jpg

The indoor grow is progressing nicely.  All the plants need transplanted.  Some will go into net cups in Kratky grows, others will end up being transplanted into dirt and we'll see how things go.  The plan is to feed all the plants the same thing....Dyna-Gro.... and compare dirt to hydro.

Here's the NuMex Sauve Orange top.  It's forked at several points, with all forks showing multiple fruits.

SO.1.jpg

And, a close up of a blossom....

SO.3.jpg

Finally, left rear, another NuMex Sauve Orange hab, center rear, three Aleppo, right rear, two more NuMex Sauve Orange habs, and, finally, front right is basil growing in a Kratky net pot.

SO.2.jpg

Things are progressing well enough I needed to remove one of the metal mesh shelves, as the hab was growing into it.  After it's transplanted, I'll need to move it to the lower shelf so it doesn't get sunburnt from the light.

Outside, the leaves are coloring up nicely.  An active front moved through last evening that brought about 1.75" of rain, along with bringing down a lot of leaves.  Winter is coming.......

fall.jpg

I'm in zone 3, I have to be inspired with winter grows to get the exotic pods I crave, like Aji Amarillo and the Rocotos. I live in a cultural black hole, no ethnic groceries close by...

That said, I haven't killed an overwinter yet....

Here's a recap and an update.  The seeds went into germination on on September 3.  On September 29, they were transplanted into the 4" pots and were there until November 20.

After  pretty much ignoring these plants for a month and a half, other than watering & feeding, I decided it was time to do some transplanting and moving over to hydro the plants that were destined there.  Three Aleppos were moved into DWC, and the smallest NuMex Sauve Orange was moved into a DWC, and another NMO was potted up in dirt.  That leaves two more NMO in their original 4" pots.  Both are doing really well, all things considered, one with a pepper that showed up a couple of days ago!  Both have lots of buds and flowers, along with some flower drop.  Tomorrow, I'll hit the local hydro store to see what other options are available for one of these two plants.  The other, I'll transplant into dirt, when I locate a proper pot.  In the mean time, I started a Garden Gem determinate tomato that will, hopefully, produce while I'm in Florida this winter.  It's hiding behind one of the NMOs.

indoor.jpg

Hopefully, this one will like the move to Florida for a couple of months!  It surprised me when it appeared....I thought it was going to need a lot more humidity than I was providing.  This is my very first indoor grown pepper!   :dance:

NSOpeppers.jpg

The plan is to keep these plants on the smaller side until we leave, have them happy as h*ell and producing in the SWFL heat and sun, prune them back for the journey home in late winter, then home, back under the lights, until it's time to move them back outside.

Back