• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

bottling Bottling Fermented Hot Sauce

Hey, all! I'm finishing up my first batch of fermented hot sauce (jalapeno and habanero). I bottled it Sunday evening and stuck it in the fridge. I plan to sell the bottles at a farmer's market, but I'm concerned about it being out of refrigeration. At room temperature, will it continue to produce CO2, or will CO2 production stop after being refrigerated for a certain amount of time? 

Cheers!

It will continue to produce gas slowly.

It is likely the market will require some health department licensing and that authority will have the final say on how the sauce needs to be processed. They may allow it to be sold refrigerated like kombucha. Good luck.
SL

If you haven't already, please read through the fermenting thread.  There's a wealth of information available to you on the site that can be found with a bit of hunting.  ;)

Regarding your first batch that was bottled and then refrigerated:  It will need to stay refrigerated IF you did not cook the sauce prior to bottling.  Live ferments that are bottled can (and do) eventually build up enough pressure to blow up.  Fermentation will continue even at low temps, albeit very slowly.   Good luck!  

I've never tried to bottle an uncooked fermented sauce, although I think tabasco is made like that right, it's never cooked before bottling?  In my state you can get what's called a home-based micro-processor license that allows you to make certain low risk foods at home and sell them at farmers markets, but not in retail stores or online.  People who go that route are mostly selling jams and jellies.

Bold Badger Sauces said:
I've never tried to bottle an uncooked fermented sauce, although I think tabasco is made like that right, it's never cooked before bottling?  In my state you can get what's called a home-based micro-processor license that allows you to make certain low risk foods at home and sell them at farmers markets, but not in retail stores or online.  People who go that route are mostly selling jams and jellies.

Isn't tabasco stabilised with vinegar, that's where it gets it's long shelf life (also scorn-it's too vinegary for a lot of people)?

I never cooked fermented sauce, something to try for sure.

Back