• If you have a question about commercial production or the hot sauce business, please post in The Food Biz.

Red rocoto and red raspberry jam

How does that sound?

I got this from another thread.

14 ounces Red Rocoto
6 Cups sugar
1 Cup AC vinegar
2 Tablespoon lemon juice (concentrate)
1 package liquid pectin

Process Rocoto, vinegar, and lemon juice until smooth
Transfer and bring to boil, simmer 20 minutes
Stir in sugar and pectin
Bring to boil and boil for 1 minute
Remove from heat and skim foam (as required)
Ladle into sterilized jars
Seal jars and process 5 minutes in boiling hot bath

Change the 14oz of rocoto to....
9oz of processed rocotos. Ive got them deseeded already and frozen
6oz of seedless frozen red raspberries

Ive got all the rest of the stuff but my lemons are fresh.
Would i need to alter the recipe using fresh lemon juice?
Would the sugar need alteration since adding fruit adds sugar? 6 cups fall right in the middle of certos recipes. They recommend 4-7 cups.

I would use the Certo recipe for raspberry jam and substitute or add the rocotos. Don't short the sugar, and if it doesn't set, the pectin recipes or Google has instructions to re-batch it. Basically I think that is heating it again and adding another packet of pectin.

Have fun. Raspberry and rocoto sounds great.
SL

Edit- stoopit spell ckeck

salsalady said:
Don't short the sugar, and if it doesn't set, the pectin recipes or Google has instructions to re-batch it. Basically I think that is heating it again and adding another packet of pectin.
Pretty sure you have to reprocess it within 24 hours for it to still be considered "safe" too. Ball's website has pretty specific instructions for reprocessing.

Just my opinion, but I freakin' HATE using that liquid pectin crap. When I first started making jellies/jams, I'd say only half of my batches actually "set" properly. Once I started using Ball's powdered pectin, I never went back to liquid. YMMV

ShowMeDaSauce said:
How does that sound?

Sounds freaking delicious, to me!  I see a pepper grilled cheese sandwich in your future..............
crystal-ball_1f52e.png

I like hot jam on bagels or English muffins with cream cheese....... or on baked Brie. Its just stupid good on baked Brie if you want a real treat. Needs to be a bit fruity to me though. Either raspberry, blackberry or peach.

A couple tbs in a sweet spicy stir fry is good also.

Back