8 replies to this topic

#1 Honey Badger

Honey Badger

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:26 AM

Recently I bought 25L fermentation bucket with airlock, thermometer and a tap. Originally, I was going to ferment some vegetables with chillies but decided I would like to make apple cider vinegar in it instead. I have lots of apples (see the background) which are quite sour and other than cooking, I don't know what else to do with them.

fermentation bin.jpg

I'm actually looking for ideas as well as advice on weather this bucket is suitable for ACV at all?

TIA

#1A Guest

• Pip
  • 1 post

#2 dragonsfire

dragonsfire

On Fire!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,727 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 09:38 AM

If its food grade then its fine. Their are several threads on making Vinegar.

#3 Will-zone10a

Will-zone10a

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:14 PM

If its food grade then its fine. Their are several threads on making Vinegar.

I had no idea there was a thread to make that stuff. I'll check it out on a later date

#4 CaneDog

CaneDog

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 14 September 2018 - 01:41 PM

I'd be thinking of mixing them with some sweeter apples to balance them out and ferment a hard cider.  Your bucket would allow you to pour into secondary off the yeast cake without having to siphon. The sour apples would be the smaller part of the mix though, maybe 1/3 or so.  I'd also be thinking ACV just like you are.

#5 Honey Badger

Honey Badger

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 06:35 AM

I think the easiest for me is to go ACV route and forget about hard cider*. I'll just wash the apples, juice them and mix juice and pulp together in the bucket and leave it few months to slowly turn to ACV.

I'll have to look for some vinegar making threads...

*hard cider = American for alcoholic cider if I'm not mistaken? In UK a cider is always alcoholic, otherwise is just an apple juice. 

#6 Thegreenchilemonster

Thegreenchilemonster

On Fire!

• Extreme
  • 6,050 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 07:51 AM

If I wanted to make vinegar, I would juice those apples, and pitch a high alcohol, fast acting wine yeast, like EC-1118. That will eat all the sugar super fast, and prevent the juice/must from getting contaminated. Then, I would pitch a healthy culture of acetobacter, and let all of that alcohol become converted to acetic acid, AKA vinegar.

Since I would want to make cider with those apples instead, I would juice them, then I would pitch Danstar Nottingham yeast😀

#7 CaneDog

CaneDog

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:37 AM

*hard cider = American for alcoholic cider if I'm not mistaken? In UK a cider is always alcoholic, otherwise is just an apple juice. 

Yep. "Cider" is just cloudy/unfiltered apple juice around here, Takes "hard" to = alcohol. Also "cider" to many in the US means the spiced ciders around the Holidays.

#8 CaneDog

CaneDog

Heating Up

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 09:44 AM

If I wanted to make vinegar, I would juice those apples, and pitch a high alcohol, fast acting wine yeast, like EC-1118. That will eat all the sugar super fast, and prevent the juice/must from getting contaminated. Then, I would pitch a healthy culture of acetobacter, and let all of that alcohol become converted to acetic acid, AKA vinegar.

Since I would want to make cider with those apples instead, I would juice them, then I would pitch Danstar Nottingham yeast😀

+1 Nottingham is great for cider, though it took me a while before I started using it.  I use RS Montrachet mostly, which I particularly like for a good dry Apfelwein. Man, all this talk will have me headed out to my local orchard soon to pick up some fresh pressed juice.

#9 Honey Badger

Honey Badger

Mild

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 15 September 2018 - 12:27 PM

I've ordered EC-1118, that was easy enough. I shall add it to the juice/must and leave it for how long before checking? At what point it should become hard cider and how do I know? Then I could bottle some of it for second fermentation/ageing if it turns alright.

The rest I should contaminate with acetobacter (the mother?) which will turn it to vinegar.

I'm I correct?

Sorry if questions are silly. I've made vinegar before but that was just letting juice/must ferment in a regular bucket, on it's own, with only a help from many a fruit flies. :D

Thanks all for your help, it's very useful. 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests