• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

breeding Natural cross pollination

In my garden I have Fatalii, Mustard Habs, Red Habs, Poblanos, Jalapenos and Bell peppers. I'm starting to see Hab shaped Fataliis, jalapenos/habanero shaped Poblanos, Bell shaped Poblanos and Fatalii shaped Habaneros. 

I don't know much about how crosses work but I thought that the traits of a cross are seen on the next generation seed. Why am I seeing these shapes on the parent plant? I'm not complaining just trying to make sense of it  ;)

Thanks

You're right about crosses not affecting the current generation.

There are a few reasons for plants to be producing odd shaped fruit.

First few pods are sometimes a little weird.
Plants are stressed, or unhealthy.
Your seeds could have been cross pollinated last year.

Where'd you get your seeds?

Jubnat said:
You're right about crosses not affecting the current generation.

There are a few reasons for plants to be producing odd shaped fruit.

First few pods are sometimes a little weird.
Plants are stressed, or unhealthy.
Your seeds could have been cross pollinated last year.

Where'd you get your seeds?

Seed Savers Exchange for all except Jalapenos. 

The Fatalii were "heirloom" but all the rest were open pollination I believe. None of my earlier harvests have had shapes like these. I've probably gotten over 100 fataliis with correct shape and now they are changing. The habs don't produce like the fatalii but they are pumping out weird shapes too. The hab shaped Poblano is hilariously shaped. 

Probably just environmental if it's just now happening. It'll probably sort itself out if the plant seems healthy.

plants do strange things sometimes. i have 2 plain jane jalapenos growing and also one mucho nacho jalapeno which are supposed to be larger and hotter than regular plants. my 2 regular plants put out larger pods than the mucho nacho all season long. i read reviews online where people rave about how good the mucho nacho is great and i think it is true and my 1 plant just didn`t produce like it normally should have. also most of my plants produce 1 or more pods that are deformed in one way or another. a cowhorn that normally curves growing totally strait or a jalapeno that normally grows strait taking a 90 degree turn and totally deformed. my point is sometimes pepper plants just do weird things. 

Habanero shaped Fatalii
20180913_085345.jpg

20180913_085353.jpg

Fatalii shaped Habanero
20180914_142312.jpg

20180914_142326.jpg

Purple tinge of the Mustard Habanero on a Red Habanero
20180914_142338.jpg

Habanero shaped Poblano
20180917_095133.jpg

Jalapeno shaped Poblano
20180917_095151.jpg

If I save seeds from these peppers, what are the chances a few will look like these? I wouldn't mind having Hab shaped Fataliis or Fatalii shaped Red Habaneros  :party:  :party:

Back