• If you need help identifying a pepper, disease, or plant issue, please post in Identification.

Does spraying calcium work?

I have a couple ghosts that are showing calcium deficiency. i have heard both sides of spraying calcium directly on the leaves both working and doing nothing, so I thought I would ask for the experiences of the growers here. has it worked for you, and do you have any advice on how to do it if it worked?

Thanks austin87! I know there are several calcium products. I've heard people enough say that foliar spraying does't do anything to make it worth asking the question. Have you used it successfully, more specifically if there was a deficiency?

FunkyFibes said:
Thanks austin87! I know there are several calcium products. I've heard people enough say that foliar spraying does't do anything to make it worth asking the question. Have you used it successfully, more specifically if there was a deficiency?
Do you have pics of the deficiency? Asking because I had what I thought was a calcium deficiency and it ended up being broad mites and they royally messed up my plants. Set my season back at least a month.

FunkyFibes said:
I have a couple ghosts that are showing calcium deficiency. i have heard both sides of spraying calcium directly on the leaves both working and doing nothing, so I thought I would ask for the experiences of the growers here. has it worked for you, and do you have any advice on how to do it if it worked?
As far as I know calcium nitrate is the most effective type of calcium source, it is fast absorbing and it is effective for both foliar and soil feeding.
If you see deficiency in your pepper plant don't go for any other type

austin87 said:
Do you have pics of the deficiency? Asking because I had what I thought was a calcium deficiency and it ended up being broad mites and they royally messed up my plants. Set my season back at least a month.
  I don't have a picture, but I checked for mites and it didn't have the heavy curling like I have seen in images. Plus I have decided to use some Calcium Nitrate i had to see how it responded, and it seems to be doing the trick.

Helioter said:
As far as I know calcium nitrate is the most effective type of calcium source, it is fast absorbing and it is effective for both foliar and soil feeding.
If you see deficiency in your pepper plant don't go for any other type
  I actually had some laying around and decided to give it a try last week. It does seem to be helping, so I can anecdotally add my support to it working now. 

Back