• If you can't find a "Hot" category that fits, post it here!

Water As An Ingredient In Hot Sauce

So, does it bother anyone else when they go to look at the ingredients of a hot sauce and find out that one of the main ingredients is water? Obviously, this is how so many hot sauces sell their products so cheaply. They are basically cutting the product with water. I find it appalling personally. I won't even bother with a hot sauce that uses water as an ingredient. How can you actually get to the flavor of the pepper that way?

Captain Caliente said:
So, does it bother anyone else when they go to look at the ingredients of a hot sauce and find out that one of the main ingredients is water? Obviously, this is how so many hot sauces sell their products so cheaply. They are basically cutting the product with water. I find it appalling personally. I won't even bother with a hot sauce that uses water as an ingredient. How can you actually get to the flavor of the pepper that way?

Hahh. I'm a hot sauce snob. But not as bad as the Craft Beer snobs. Though, in logical terms the Craft beer types are absolutely correct.

Well vinegar is 95% water and 5% acetic acid so if your hot sauce has vinegar it has a lot of water... so no it is not a problem at all, many times your acidity is fine and you just need the water (consistency etc.). If vinegar is listed 1st guess what the main ingredient is? Water.

Also let's say you have the PERFECT recipe but it is too thick. Why add pineapple juice and alter the flavor when you could add water? Common sense.

Learn to accept the water. We are here for you.

Captain Caliente said:
Hahh. I'm a hot sauce snob. But not as bad as the Craft Beer snobs. Though, in logical terms the Craft beer types are absolutely correct.

Now worries, you don't sound like a snob, just ill informed.

You came to the right place to learn about hot sauce making!

Captain Caliente said:

What is the main ingredient in beer?

Fermented water is good!  :cheers:  :lol:

If the sauce contains dried spices or dried peppers/powders....kinda gotta use water to reconstitute.  You might be missing out on some really good sauces by eliminating all sauces that contain water. 

I did however find a line of "water free" sauces you might enjoy..

Attachments

• Sand-in-a-bottle-1.jpg
    Sand-in-a-bottle-1.jpg
    125.9 KB · Views: 123
The Hot Pepper said:

Now worries, you don't sound like a snob, just ill informed.

You came to the right place to learn about hot sauce making!

Hahh. That's a bold statement. You do not know me or my hot sauce skill level. Rather presumptuous to be sure... That alone starts to sound off alarms bells. And yes, vinegar is cut by water. So if a sauce is using vinegar and water at the same time then the sauce is primarily water, water. I'm a gourmet cook. I'll make refried beans, chili and other types of stews using water. But I cook the water off. To get to the base of flavor. When it comes to hot sauce. There is simply no way you could make a simple habanero sauce with vinegar and water and end up with the same refined flavors as you would with just vinegar and habanero. You'll lose a lot of the fruit flavor. Start adding gourmet super hots and the water just cuts the balls out of the sauce. For example, water will take what would normally make 100 bottles to 500 bottles or more. Particularly when it is the main ingredient.

Captain Caliente said:

There is simply no way you could make a simple habanero sauce with vinegar and water and end up with the same refined flavors as you would with just vinegar and habanero
This couldn't be further from the truth. Adding more vinegar to achieve the desired consistency is a rookie mistake more than anything else. Why would you add more of such a dominant flavor just for the sake of thinning it? No way.

Wow, listen folks. I had no intention of getting into a debate with the moderators or administrators of this forum. I tell you, my heart is all about the heat. All about the flavor behind the heat. I love hot peppers. I've grown and am growing some of the most incredible peppers in the world. I only intended to get involved with the community and start to bond with my fellow Chileheads. But you are taking this on a sour road. Based on your responses, there is no question that my sauce would beat anything you are putting out there in a taste test. I have no doubt. Your logic is delusional. You are making the case that water does not cut the flavor of...anything. It's just ridiculous. Take a gallon of fresh squeezed orange juice. Oranges you've picked right off of the tree. Then add a gallon of water to the orange juice. Tell me the flavor does not change. It does. And only a con artist would tell you it doesn't. I'm sure all of you make delicious hot sauces. And I'm sure you all are happy with your end product. But don't tell me that I have no idea what I'm talking about. I do.

In the end, I'm just a fellow hot pepper nut. We should not be at odds my friends. We should be celebrating together the beauty of these incredible gifts that God has bestowed upon us in regard to chile peppers. So we have different philosophies. Please do not disparage me for mine. I will not disparage you for yours. We just see things differently.

Captain Caliente said:
Hahh. That's a bold statement. You do not know me or my hot sauce skill level. Rather presumptuous to be sure... That alone starts to sound off alarms bells.

You came in here with a bold statement, expect bold responses. :shrug:

The Hot Pepper said:

You came in here with a bold statement, expect bold responses. :shrug:

To confuse a factual statement with a bold statement is rather odd. It is a fact that water is used to cut the sauce. I prefer not to. The fact is that water is used to spread the sauce. That is not bold. It is a fact.

I identify as a wizard. In this day and age that must respected. How the hell do you get the idea that I'm a troll? What does that even mean? Simply because I have a different opinion, I must be a troll? That is more crazy talk. I want to talk about gourmet hot peppers and hot sauce. Stop with the deflections and bow to the wizard. I think it was you who didn't like the truth or the answers. But hey. I'm still willing to put my sauce up against yours.

YOU made the claim "Obviously, this is how so many hot sauces sell their products so cheaply" and you also realize a lot of saucemakers are on this site (obviously) and use water and are awesome, because, they know what they are doing. So you can keep on with your controversial statements and acting holier than thou if you want... or you can stick around and learn some tricks because that's what we do here... help each other with tips and make sauce, but you seem to know it all so never mind.

Back